LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Desktop
User Name
Password
Linux - Desktop This forum is for the discussion of all Linux Software used in a desktop context.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 07-17-2014, 09:09 PM   #1
kline

Distribution: Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 0
Need help on my GTK+3.0 project [ written in C]

well, here's hoping that LQ has hackers who know GTK3 and C because my last {?} fairly small project relies largely on GTK+3.

This is for people who are speech-ompaired but who can hear and type. i yse my program when i have friends over who are not familiar with how i speak. i type a sentencce into my program's gvim window, hit ECS and the enter key and the computer speaks my words. this is fine if the conversation is *short*. otherwise, what winds up in the text editor reqires time and effort if my friends want me to repeat something that i typed 45 or 50 minutes ago! yes, what i said [ typed ] is there, it just takes hunting for and messing with to replay.

right now my program comes up as a small square with three buttons. i think o may need a 4th button (maybe 80x50 characters) that would use the "PgUp and PgDn arrow key that which when used with Enter would play that string or stringss. Does anybody know how to do this?

i cant upload my tarball, bur iwill sent it via mail to and unix types out there. YIA.

Old 07-19-2014, 01:36 AM   #2
a4z

Rep: Reputation: 742Reputation: 742Reputation: 742Reputation: 742Reputation: 742Reputation: 742Reputation: 742
why don't you share you program via github, sourceforge, bitbucket,...

this might help you to find people that look at it and possible contribute something

Old 07-19-2014, 08:45 AM   #3
TB0ne
LQ Guru

Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS

Rep: Reputation: 7964Reputation: 7964Reputation: 7964Reputation: 7964Reputation: 7964Reputation: 7964Reputation: 7964Reputation: 7964Reputation: 7964Reputation: 7964Reputation: 7964
Quote:
Originally Posted by kline View Post
well, here's hoping that LQ has hackers who know GTK3 and C because my last {?} fairly small project relies largely on GTK+3.
This is for people who are speech-ompaired but who can hear and type. i yse my program when i have friends over who are not familiar with how i speak. i type a sentencce into my program's gvim window, hit ECS and the enter key and the computer speaks my words. this is fine if the conversation is *short*. otherwise, what winds up in the text editor reqires time and effort if my friends want me to repeat something that i typed 45 or 50 minutes ago! yes, what i said [ typed ] is there, it just takes hunting for and messing with to replay.

right now my program comes up as a small square with three buttons. i think o may need a 4th button (maybe 80x50 characters) that would use the "PgUp and PgDn arrow key that which when used with Enter would play that string or stringss. Does anybody know how to do this?

i cant upload my tarball, bur iwill sent it via mail to and unix types out there. YIA.
I agree with sharing via github or some other repository, but I'm fairly confused as to WHY. If you wrote this program, and have clearly already written the three buttons that work, shouldn't adding a fourth be trivial for you? This is your code...you should know exactly what to change and how better than anyone else.

Are you having a particular problem? Error?

Old 07-20-2014, 12:24 AM   #4
kline

Distribution: Ubuntu

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB0ne View Post
I agree with sharing via github or some other repository, but I'm fairly confused as to WHY. If you wrote this program, and have clearly already written the three buttons that work, shouldn't adding a fourth be trivial for you? This is your code...you should know exactly what to change and how better than anyone else.

Are you having a particular problem? Error?
nutshell: this morniing i dug into my ~/devel/gtk/ directories that i used a few ywars back--maybe 2009, 2010. i found several dozen examples of GTK2.0 code to derive somethinng pretty close to what MAY work best. i never planned to make this "Public" since the program is a bit rough around the edges. anyway, after a few hours i figured out the first of two[?] or three[?] things that need doing before i add the last button.