LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General
User Name
Password
General This forum is for non-technical general discussion which can include both Linux and non-Linux topics. Have fun!

Notices

View Poll Results: You are a...
firm believer 157 28.19%
Deist 18 3.23%
Theist 21 3.77%
Agnostic 119 21.36%
Atheist 242 43.45%
Voters: 557. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Search this Thread
Old 04-11-2014, 09:42 AM   #4861
Philip Lacroix

Distribution: Slackware, FreeBSD

Rep: Reputation: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler92 View Post
On the other hand, argument on religion, faith and will take us nowhere. Since all of us have different views and belief regarding that matter.
This is slippery ground, I agree, however discussions like this may help, sometimes, to fix misconceptions on both parts. While rational thought should not automatically reject less rigorous forms as if they were pure bullsh*t, on the other hand religious thought should not reject more rigorous forms by projecting on them its own issues and contradictions. Also, when discussing things one should try at least to use words with their correct meaning, otherwise the discussion itself *will* degenerate into a mess. It's not easy to keep such a discussion on track, however sometimes it may be worth and interesting to try, while a "politically correct" form of respect might not always be the best approach.

Last edited by Philip Lacroix; 04-11-2014 at 12:16 PM. Reason: gramm.

Old 04-12-2014, 11:22 AM   #4862
Arcane

Distribution: random

Rep: Reputation: 113Reputation: 113
You want argument? Ok then. Watched Animatrix? Humans are able to create - robots or other stuff doesn't matter - even in real life. So why we couldn't be created in past? If we can create and soon we will finish AI project stuff then we will be able to create biorobots etc. and we would be God's to them!

Old 04-12-2014, 12:59 PM   #4863
jamison20000e

Location: infinity; (randomly born:) Milwaukee, WI, US, Earth
Distribution: any UNIXish that works well on my cheapest with mostly KDE, Xfce or CLI but open ;-)

Rep: Reputation: 259Reputation: 259Reputation: 259
The agnostic side of me says there are two choices we are aliens or a "creator" (in it all from the same) was alien (I've planted seeds, spliced plants, enjoyed pets,) the atheist side of me says "god's" only kill (sadly preferably blindly shouldn't give them ways to feel better about it or justified.)

P.s: I made reference to a movie Snowpiercer in an edit a few back, spoiler: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowpiercer

Edit here's another just saw: http://www.hulu.com/watch/619619#pla...miere_date-asc

Last edited by jamison20000e; 04-18-2014 at 12:50 PM.

Old 04-12-2014, 01:54 PM   #4864
Philip Lacroix

Distribution: Slackware, FreeBSD

Rep: Reputation: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcane View Post
You want argument? Ok then. Watched Animatrix? Humans are able to create - robots or other stuff doesn't matter - even in real life. So why we couldn't be created in past? If we can create and soon we will finish AI project stuff then we will be able to create biorobots etc. and we would be God's to them!
What you are citing is a work of imagination, it is *science fiction*, and as such it cannot be considered as a source of knowledge, or an argument in support of whatsoever point of view. It might be enjoyable, and suggest thrilling details of possible or impossible situations, but it remains a work of imagination, created by the movie industry for entertainment purposes. The idea that «if we can create something ourselves, then we might have been created as well» is an easy and understandable analogy, however there is no evidence that supports it, and imagination alone doesn't prove anything. On the contrary, facts show that evolution is by far the best explanation of our origins.

By the way, there's an index to creationist claims, with answers to each one of them, which is really interesting to read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamison20000e View Post
The agnostic side of me says there are two choices we are aliens or a "creator" (in it all from the same) was alien (I've planted seeds, spliced plants, enjoyed pets,) the atheist side of me says "god's" only kill (sadly preferably blindly)
Yup, it is interesting to see how the most popular divinities that humans have conceived literally condense the best AND the worst of the human kind itself. This might be a clear suggestion about which one created the other. Regarding distinctions, the risk of (literal) atheism is that it can be easily perceived as a religion itself, whereas agnosticism is probably closer to a more open way of thinking. However I don't care much about these distinctions.

Last edited by Philip Lacroix; 04-12-2014 at 05:55 PM. Reason: lex.

Old 04-18-2014, 05:35 AM   #4865
Arcane

Distribution: random

Rep: Reputation: 113Reputation: 113
Another video from DM2525 came out Perfect Double Standard which includes visual arguments already mentioned. Too bad religious people not watch them because they provide enough discussion material.

Tags
bible, censorship, christ, christian, determinism, education, faith, free will, god, human stupidity, humor, islam, jesus, magic roundabout, mythology, nihilism, peace, pointless, polytheism, quran, religion, virtue, war, zealot