LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Virtualization and Cloud
User Name
Password
Linux - Virtualization and Cloud This forum is for the discussion of all topics relating to Linux Virtualization and Linux Cloud platforms. Xen, KVM, OpenVZ, VirtualBox, VMware, Linux-VServer and all other Linux Virtualization platforms are welcome. OpenStack, CloudStack, ownCloud, Cloud Foundry, Eucalyptus, Nimbus, OpenNebula and all other Linux Cloud platforms are welcome. Note that questions relating solely to non-Linux OS's should be asked in the General forum.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 07-09-2013, 11:38 AM   #1
Gullible Jones

Rep: Reputation: 10
Making X11 work reliably on a Xen 4.1 dom0, with some caveats

I currently have a workstation set up with Debian Wheezy as a dom0 on top of Xen 4.1 (from the Wheezy repository). I need to have X11 running and stable on the dom0, on this workstation. X11 has been very unstable with the video card, a Radeon HD 4200; switching VTs tends to corrupt the screen, and X sometimes segfaults on start.

Caveat 1: I can't use the Wheezy nonfree repo, which means X has to work without the proprietary Radeon firmware.

Caveat 2: I'm stuck with a 1680x1050 monitor, and I don't know if the video BIOS supports widescreen resolutions. If it doesn't, using the vesa driver will be a problem.

Anyway, the current state of affairs:

- radeon driver works but is unstable, as indicated above. Hardware acceleration and kernel modesetting don't work, since I can't use the proprietary firmware.

- vesa driver doesn't work; X refuses to start, claiming that no usable screens exist.

- fbdev driver can't work at the moment, because I'm having trouble enabling the Linux framebuffer...

Any advice? Is this solvable, or am I SOL?

Last edited by Gullible Jones; 07-12-2013 at 10:46 AM.

Old 07-12-2013, 10:47 AM   #2
Gullible Jones

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 10
SOLVED... by user education. You're not supposed to run X in the dom0; you're supposed to run your desktop in a domU, and administer the minimal dom0 through ssh, or something.

Edit: Ugh, apparently this only works for server/client setups in a lot of cases. Getting the domU to see the video hardware is a pain.

For now I'm switching to KVM/libvirt, which may be theoretically inferior to Xen but has the advantage of actually working for desktop scenarios.

Last edited by Gullible Jones; 07-12-2013 at 04:18 PM.