LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware > Slackware - Installation
User Name
Password
Slackware - Installation This forum is for the discussion of installation issues with Slackware.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 11-23-2012, 08:22 PM   #1
garpu

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 886Reputation: 886Reputation: 886Reputation: 886Reputation: 886Reputation: 886Reputation: 886
Slackware on a former UEFI system

So I discovered (by actually reading the manual) that my motherboard (UEFI by default) does have a legacy BIOS mode. I'm not new to Slackware (used slackware 10-13.37, then Arch linux in September)

I absolutely hate Arch Linux. If I am to install Slackware again, do I need to completely reformat, since I'd used a GUID parition table? (I have /home and a few other partitions I don't have the space to copy off.) Or can I just reformat the root partition and install Slackware to it? (After enabling the legacy BIOS)

Edit: Also, do I have to not boot with framebuffer support using the legacy BIOS? (I know it causes issues with UEFI.)

Last edited by garpu; 11-23-2012 at 08:35 PM.

Old 11-23-2012, 09:44 PM   #2
malekmustaq

Distribution: Slackware & BSD

Rep: Reputation: 498Reputation: 498Reputation: 498Reputation: 498Reputation: 498
You may read this first.

I have overcome my atom/uefi by option to BIOS and disabled the uefi; in that manner Slackware 14 handles (I installed) Grub2 loading all other OS available on drive. I have heard GPT can run in this order, but I don't never use GPT-- /dev/sda[1-10] is always human readable.

Hope that helps good luck.

Old 11-23-2012, 10:59 PM   #3
garpu

Distribution: Slackware

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 886Reputation: 886Reputation: 886Reputation: 886Reputation: 886Reputation: 886Reputation: 886
yeah, that's what I was wondering--will I have to repartition /, /home, and my other partition? (It's currently got ARch linux on it enabled for UEFI. I'm going to enable legacy ROM support and switch back to Slackware.)