LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Networking
User Name
Password
Linux - Networking This forum is for any issue related to networks or networking.
Routing, network cards, OSI, etc. Anything is fair game.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 08-12-2017, 10:36 PM   #1
AveryFB

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
My Ethernet Will Not Connect On Any Operating System.

OK so I was on Ubuntu 17.04 I used it for gaming and all of the sudden after like 8 months of using Ubuntu I was having really bad internet connection issues for a few weeks. Then one day it just stops working. I tried everything I could to fix it but then decided to just do a new install of 16.04 because I regretted upgrading anyways. And I thought the OS was the cause. So I reinstall And now I have 16.04 but the internet won't work so I try another operating system called Solus and that won't work either. Next I try steamos but Now I get this message when I am on the install page (This isn't exactly how the error message was but I took a picture with my phone and didn't get the whole message so I don't know exactly what it says) Detect Network Hardware Hardware Needs non-free firmware to operate the missing firmware files are: rtl_nic/rtl8168f-1.few if you have such media available now, insert it, and continue. Load missing firmware from removable media? Yes or no? Same error message happened when I just tried to install Debian. Any help would be very much appreciated. If you know how to fix it please dumb it down as much as possible I am a Linux noob EDIT: My Issue Has Changed Please IGNORE This Thread

Last edited by AveryFB; 08-16-2017 at 09:21 PM.

Old 08-12-2017, 10:44 PM   #2
HappyTux

Distribution: Debian AMD64

Rep: Reputation: 244Reputation: 244Reputation: 244
Could be the nic has died on the board not likely but entirely possible. For the Debian error search on debian non-free installer it should get you a link to an installer that includes the firmware it leaves out from the standard images.

Old 08-12-2017, 11:26 PM   #3
AveryFB

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTux View Post
Could be the nic has died on the board not likely but entirely possible. For the Debian error search on debian non-free installer it should get you a link to an installer that includes the firmware it leaves out from the standard images.
Could you link it to me? I would like to install Ubuntu again so even if that works idk if that would fix my issue. Maybe link the same thing but for Ubuntu 16.04

Old 08-13-2017, 12:38 AM   #4
HappyTux

Distribution: Debian AMD64

Rep: Reputation: 244Reputation: 244Reputation: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by AveryFB View Post
Could you link it to me? I would like to install Ubuntu again so even if that works idk if that would fix my issue. Maybe link the same thing but for Ubuntu 16.04
https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/u...ding-firmware/

Old 08-13-2017, 01:36 AM   #5
AwesomeMachine
LQ Guru

Distribution: Debian testing/sid; OpenSuSE; Fedora; Mint

Rep: Reputation: 1015Reputation: 1015Reputation: 1015Reputation: 1015Reputation: 1015Reputation: 1015Reputation: 1015Reputation: 1015
You can install
Code:
firmware-realtek
on a working system. Then copy
Code:
/lib/firmware/rtl8168f-1.few
to a usb drive. Run the installer again, and when it asks for the firmware, insert the usb drive.

Old 08-13-2017, 04:23 AM   #6
AveryFB

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeMachine View Post
You can install
Code:
firmware-realtek
on a working system. Then copy
Code:
to a usb drive. Run the installer again, and when it asks for the firmware, insert the usb drive.
Where do I type this on the second system? Can you maybe explain more in depth? I really am a super Linux noon. I tried typing this in terminal and it said it wasn't a think on Linux mint

Old 08-13-2017, 08:36 AM   #7
AwesomeMachine
LQ Guru

Distribution: Debian testing/sid; OpenSuSE; Fedora; Mint

Rep: Reputation: 1015Reputation: 1015Reputation: 1015Reputation: 1015Reputation: 1015Reputation: 1015Reputation: 1015Reputation: 1015
To install the firmware package on the working system, if it's Ubuntu or other Debian-based distro:
Code:
$ apt-get install firmware-realtek
Then, insert the USB drive. Open a file manager and copy
Code:
to the USB drive.

If you don't know which is the USB drive, it will say something like "64 GB volume", or whatever size it is, where the drives are listed in the FM.

Old 08-13-2017, 09:30 PM   #8
AveryFB

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeMachine View Post
To install the firmware package on the working system, if it's Ubuntu or other Debian-based distro:
Code:
$ apt-get install firmware-realtek
Then, insert the USB drive. Open a file manager and copy
Code:
to the USB drive.

If you don't know which is the USB drive, it will say something like "64 GB volume", or whatever size it is, where the drives are listed in the FM.
It doesn't recognize it as a command. Is there a way you could do it for me so that I could just download it? I really have no clue what I am doing. I am just a 16 year old that is trying to play some videogames haha.

Old 08-16-2017, 04:23 AM   #9
JeremyBoden

Distribution: Debian

Rep: Reputation: 511Reputation: 511Reputation: 511Reputation: 511Reputation: 511Reputation: 511
How did you install Ubuntu if your internet connection wasn't working?

Have you changed any hardware since your last Ubuntu install?

Old 08-16-2017, 06:12 AM   #10
AveryFB

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyBoden View Post
How did you install Ubuntu if your internet connection wasn't working?

Have you changed any hardware since your last Ubuntu install?
I used my dads computer and got it on USB. I added a nic card to try and fix the issue

Old 08-16-2017, 10:07 AM   #11
JeremyBoden

Distribution: Debian

Rep: Reputation: 511Reputation: 511Reputation: 511Reputation: 511Reputation: 511Reputation: 511
Is there any chance of installing the same nic as your dads PC and re-installing Ubuntu or some other Linux variety?
Take a backup of any data you want to keep.

This way you should be guaranteed of getting a working install.
I usually use the nic that is built-in to the motherboard and it seems to be OK.