LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Virtualization and Cloud
User Name
Password
Linux - Virtualization and Cloud This forum is for the discussion of all topics relating to Linux Virtualization and Linux Cloud platforms. Xen, KVM, OpenVZ, VirtualBox, VMware, Linux-VServer and all other Linux Virtualization platforms are welcome. OpenStack, CloudStack, ownCloud, Cloud Foundry, Eucalyptus, Nimbus, OpenNebula and all other Linux Cloud platforms are welcome. Note that questions relating solely to non-Linux OS's should be asked in the General forum.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 02-03-2013, 01:26 PM   #1
liche24
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 15
Configure Openvswitch with vm and host on single port

I'm currently using Fedora 18 and trying to replace my old Fedora 10 webserver with a virtualized Fedora 18 server. I have the machine built and I'm able to connect both the host and vm to the internet via macvtap on my eth1 interface. What I've noticed is a greatly reduced download speed on my vm, 37Mbs on the host, 1.4Mbs on the vm. If I use my bridge built with ovs-vsctl I'm able to achieve line speeds of 36Mbs on the vm, but my host can no longer access the internet. Using the openvswitch bridge, I specify the interface to use 'local-bridge0' and add-port eth1 to it. Eth1 is a static address and the vm is a static as well. I've not found any working configs on the web for setting this all up, but I know can't be the first to do this. The overall goal here is to have the vm on the same network as the host, with line speeds close to the host. Thank you in advance

I do have a second ether port not in use and have tried setting my local bridge to that one(without enabling stp) and my host connection did not come up, but the vm did achieve the 'near' line speed I was looking for.

Last edited by liche24; 02-03-2013 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Add'l info

Tags
virt-manager, virtual network