LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Mobile
User Name
Password
Linux - Mobile This forum is for the discussion of all topics relating to Mobile Linux. This includes Android, Tizen, Sailfish OS, Replicant, Ubuntu Touch, webOS, and other similar projects and products.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 05-09-2014, 12:37 PM   #1
mohammadtorfehnezhad
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
mount nexus 5 on debian squeeze

I'm using Debian Squeeze and I have got a problem mounting my Nexus 5 as Media Device(MTP)
I've searched over the internet and I couldn't found anything useful, I tried to follow the instructions for Ubuntu or Debian Wheezy but in both of them I encountered some problems with packages.
Does anybody have any suggestion?

Old 05-09-2014, 05:34 PM   #2
linuzfreak
LQ Newbie

There is a file manager called PCmanFM. It has support for MTP devices. It's a bit flaky with some devices.

You can also try a program called android SDK and use the adb tool ( commandline app ) or the ddms tool ( GUI app ). Both tools allow you to transfer files from PC to phone/tablet and vice versa.

A more simpler approach is to use Airdroid or File Expert HD. Airdriod uses any web browser to connect to the android device. Then you just drag and drop.

File Expert HD also uses a web browser to interact with the android device. It also has a built-in FTP server if you wish to go that route.

Airdroid and File Expert HD are available for free in google play store.

Last edited by linuzfreak; 05-09-2014 at 05:43 PM.

Old 05-23-2014, 01:29 PM   #3
mohammadtorfehnezhad
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
I followed this link "http://bernaerts.dyndns.org/linux/74-ubuntu/268-ubuntu-automount-any-mtp-device" and just changed some parts which I will mention below to work on Debian
Follow the instruction in the link and make this changes in each steps

Step 2.2 : Install "mtpfs" instead of "go-mtpfs", there for there's no need to add mentioned repository. In addition, install fuse-utils

Step 3 : In every each steps of this part make sure to specify and use correct information according to YOUR OWN DEVICE, the written information such as VENDOR ID, DEVICE ID, BUS and other numbers are just examples

Step 3.5 : User this rule instead of the rule that has been written in the article
# Nexus_5 - MTP mount & unmount rules
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="18d1", ATTR{idProduct}=="4ee2", MODE="0777", OWNER="mohammad"
ENV{ID_MODEL}=="Nexus_5", ENV{ID_MODEL_ID}=="4ee2", ACTION=="add", RUN+="/usr/bin/sudo -b -u mohammad /usr/bin/mtpfs /media/Nexus_5 -o allow_other"
ENV{ID_MODEL}=="Nexus_5", ENV{ID_MODEL_ID}=="4ee2", ACTION=="remove", RUN+="/usr/bin/sudo -b -u mohammad /usr/bin/fusermount -u /media/Nexus_5"

After step 3.5 just unplug the USB cable and plug it in back and it should work
For step 3.6 I couldn't cope with it.