LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Virtualization and Cloud
User Name
Password
Linux - Virtualization and Cloud This forum is for the discussion of all topics relating to Linux Virtualization and Linux Cloud platforms. Xen, KVM, OpenVZ, VirtualBox, VMware, Linux-VServer and all other Linux Virtualization platforms are welcome. OpenStack, CloudStack, ownCloud, Cloud Foundry, Eucalyptus, Nimbus, OpenNebula and all other Linux Cloud platforms are welcome. Note that questions relating solely to non-Linux OS's should be asked in the General forum.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 05-04-2015, 12:59 PM   #16
erast
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled

ESXi is a paid enterprise solution. You can have a sixty day evolution period, but after that, you will need to buy a (expensive) license. Go with Xen or Oracle VirtualBox.

Old 05-04-2015, 02:57 PM   #17
vmccord

Distribution: Mostly AWS

We're a VMWare shop and I like it, but for your use-case, I'm with everyone who is suggesting Xen.

Old 05-05-2015, 04:12 AM   #18
hack3rcon

Rep: Reputation: 11
I just Recommended XenServer. In company we have some VmWare ESXi but we migrated them to XenServer. Citrix XenServer is very fast and working very nice. I love Xen.

Old 05-05-2015, 05:32 AM   #19
Samsonite2010

Distribution: Debian

Rep: Reputation: 117Reputation: 117
For home VMs I use Virtualbox - both on Windows and in Xubuntu. You can run it headless too and performance seems to be good partly because it has some quite advanced hardware support which gives you a very nice experience on the guest OS. Another advantage for me is that at work we use VMWare and Virtualbox can run the exact same VMDK virtual disks (which I keep on external drives) - I can literally shut down a VM on VMWare, plug the disk into my Xubuntu machine and run the same VM in Virtualbox.

People tend to ignore Virtualbox for business use often - I am sure there are good reasons although I have none myself. Certainly for ease of setup at home, it is hard to beat.

Old 05-05-2015, 09:49 AM   #20
hack3rcon

I Agree. I use VirtualBox too and it is easy to use and so Sexy.
For Enterprise I just recommended XenServer, It is Very Powerful and high speed. My suggestion is Please Test it if you had not and if you test it then you thinking about Remove Vmware

---------- Post added 05-05-15 at 09:49 AM ----------

I Agree. I use VirtualBox too and it is easy to use and so Sexy.
For Enterprise I just recommended XenServer, It is Very Powerful and high speed. My suggestion is Please Test it if you had not and if you test it then you thinking about Remove Vmware

Old 05-05-2015, 12:53 PM   #21
ksovi
LQ Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadaen View Post
I'm looking into virtualizing, if nothing else to learn. Would like a pfsense router and a minecraft server running virtual on one box. And whatever else I can come up that is worth virtualizing.

I prefer open source so naturally I'm looking at Xen on top of Debian. However I see many always talking about ESXi.

What are the pros / cons to each? Xen seems to be cli only which I'm comfortable with as I can ssh in and run headless. Haven't looked at ESXi yet as I don't know if I could launch a VM with it to see what it's all about ( Don't know the settings to use in VirtualBox. )
ESXi is mostly closed source so it won't be what you prefer anyway.
I use ESXi extensively and KVM
I would say KVM is not as feature rich as ESXi, however it matured a lot lately, and I am very happy with it running on OpenSUSE. I've also an arch linux server with KVM but opensuse seems to perform better.

ESXi on the other hand is really an amazing hypervisor, it has tons of features and configuration options for each VM, but it really is for the enterprise. For a home lab KVM is perfect.
Hyper-v...well no thanks.. it's MS
XEN - good enough but it's lost the open source hypervisor battle to KVM.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-05-2015, 03:24 PM   #22
MensaWater
LQ Guru

Distribution: Redhat (RHEL), CentOS, Fedora, CoreOS, Debian, FreeBSD, HP-UX, Solaris, SCO

Rep: Reputation: 1669Reputation: 1669Reputation: 1669Reputation: 1669Reputation: 1669Reputation: 1669Reputation: 1669Reputation: 1669Reputation: 1669Reputation: 1669Reputation: 1669
Hyper-V actually works well for Linux (and Windows of course) guests. RHEL (and presumably CentOS) comes these days with modules designed to work well in Hyper-V guests.

I didn't pick Hyper-V here but have not been as appalled as I thought I would be after using it for more than a year.

The question is these days who is the greater evil: Microsoft or EMC (which owns most of VMWare).
I'd suggest EMC which is sad because there was a time they were a great company. Somewhere along the line they decided customer service was less important than software audits as a way to generate revenue. I'm waiting for the day Oracle buys EMC since their current philosphies seem to be so aligned.

Old 05-06-2015, 12:29 AM   #23
hack3rcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksovi View Post
ESXi is mostly closed source so it won't be what you prefer anyway.
I use ESXi extensively and KVM
I would say KVM is not as feature rich as ESXi, however it matured a lot lately, and I am very happy with it running on OpenSUSE. I've also an arch linux server with KVM but opensuse seems to perform better.

ESXi on the other hand is really an amazing hypervisor, it has tons of features and configuration options for each VM, but it really is for the enterprise. For a home lab KVM is perfect.
Hyper-v...well no thanks.. it's MS
XEN - good enough but it's lost the open source hypervisor battle to KVM.
Excuse me, You use XenServer for home , Very funny.
Hyper-v...well !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did you see the News about KVM and Xen?