LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > Linux User Groups (LUG)
User Name
Password
Linux User Groups (LUG) This forum allows Linux User Groups (LUG) to gain exposure. It also allows people looking for a LUG in their area to find one.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 07-01-2014, 10:48 AM   #1
LinuxLiker

Distribution: Ubuntu, Vector Linux, Mandriva

Rep: Reputation: 15
Looking for Linux Users in the Tallahassee, FL area

Hi --
I can't seem to find a linux user group for my area by searching the web for lists of linux user groups. So, does anyone know of a Linux user group for Tallahassee, FL, or are there individual users out there who are located in Tallahassee?
I don't have a lot of time to dedicate to getting fluent with linux and being able to get input for a live person would be helpful.

Thanks.

Old 07-01-2014, 12:05 PM   #2
rtmistler

Distribution: MINT Debian, Angstrom, SUSE, Ubuntu, Debian

Rep: Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930
If you don't have the time for Linux, then why use it at all?

Whether it be a user group or here at LQ, participation is voluntary for all. But I'd have to think that you'd have to dedicate "some" time participating in a user's group to meet people.

At the very least, you can ask questions here at LQ and get International responses 24/7/365 just about.

Another suggestion is to try and find a Linux based class at a community college or other low cost learning center where you can get personal instruction at a low cost.

Old 07-01-2014, 08:55 PM   #3
frankbell
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware, Ubuntu MATE, Mageia, and whatever VMs I happen to be playing with

Rep: Reputation: 6124Reputation: 6124Reputation: 6124Reputation: 6124Reputation: 6124Reputation: 6124Reputation: 6124Reputation: 6124Reputation: 6124Reputation: 6124Reputation: 6124
When I saw your first post, I did a search and was surprised to see that, in the home of FSU (alma mater of one of my daughters), there didn't seem to be any LUGs, even connected to the university.

There are many on-line resources you might find useful. I'll mention three in particular:
  • GoingLinux has tremendous resources for new and intermediate users, including a library of years of podcasts. Their motto is "for computer users who just want to use Linux to get things done."
  • Linux Lugcast is an on-line LUG that meets every two weeks via Mumble and then publishes a podcast of their meetings.
  • My own LUG has forums where you would be most welcome.

Linux is not hard; it's just different. Indeed, after learning my way around it, I have concluded that, as an OS, it is far more logical and much simpler than Windows, but there is a learning curve, just as there was a learning curve with Windows. It's just that most persons don't notice that Windows learning curve when they are climbing it.

Last edited by frankbell; 07-01-2014 at 08:59 PM.

Old 07-10-2014, 12:02 PM   #4
LinuxLiker

Original Poster
Looking for Linux Users in the Tallahassee, FL area

Thanks for both replies.
Frank, yes, it is a bit surprising that in a college town (home of FSU, Florida A&M and Tallahassee Community College) that there's no LUG.
If I was knowledgeable enough myself, I might try to start one but I guess that's kind of a chicken-and-egg proposition.

Old 07-10-2014, 12:15 PM   #5
NGIB

Distribution: MX, Lubuntu

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbell View Post
When I saw your first post, I did a search and was surprised to see that, in the home of FSU (alma mater of one of my daughters), there didn't seem to be any LUGs, even connected to the university.
My eldest has 2 degrees from FSU. Go Noles!

Old 07-10-2014, 07:46 PM   #6
frankbell
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware, Ubuntu MATE, Mageia, and whatever VMs I happen to be playing with

Rep: Reputation: 6124Reputation: 6124Reputation: 6124Reputation: 6124Reputation: 6124Reputation: 6124Reputation: 6124Reputation: 6124Reputation: 6124Reputation: 6124Reputation: 6124
Quote:
If I was knowledgeable enough myself, I might try to start one but I guess that's kind of a chicken-and-egg proposition.
You don't need to know Linux to start a LUG. You need to find persons who know Linux. A web search for "how to start a LUG" will turn up some useful ideas, if you've a mind to take it on.

NGIB, only time I've been to Tallahassee was for her graduation.

Old 07-11-2014, 07:35 AM   #7
LinuxLiker

Original Poster
Frank --
Sounds like it's been too long since you've been here. Swing by next time you're in Florida. We've done some nice improvements around the place. Same for NGIB if you haven't been here in a while!

Old 07-11-2014, 07:49 PM   #8
frankbell
LQ Guru

If I'm ever in Tallahassee, I'll give you a shout, but, frankly, it's not likely. I was a road warrior for two decades--always had 10 days worth of dress shirts in my closet so I could pack for a week and not have to do laundry the day I got in--and I don't miss the road, I don't miss airlines, and I don't miss hotels.

I do miss the railroad.

If you do want to start a LUG, you might take a look at Meetup.com. Someone I know used it to expand a group I'm a member of from two or three just barely hanging on to 10-15 regular attendees twice a month. I think there's a fee to "host" a group, but I've been surprised at how many persons use it--there's a whole little "Meetup" subculture out there.

Last edited by frankbell; 07-11-2014 at 07:53 PM.