LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Other *NIX Forums > *BSD
User Name
Password
*BSD This forum is for the discussion of all BSD variants.
FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, etc.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 04-22-2013, 01:19 PM   #1
JWJones

Rep: Reputation: 709Reputation: 709Reputation: 709Reputation: 709Reputation: 709Reputation: 709Reputation: 709
Thumbs up wget and Mac OSX

After becoming frustrated with the various GUI options available for web downloads in Mac OSX, and also downloading large files with Firefox, I thought to myself "Duh, why not just use wget in the terminal?"

So I fired up the terminal, only to discover that wget is not available OOTB in Mac OSX. And so, the search was on...

Most search results revealed that while it was a simple matter to add wget, most involved first having Xcode installed. Not wanting to either find the original Mac OSX installation DVD, or download the large Xcode installer, I did, however, find this precompiled package for wget 1.12:

https://www.merenbach.com/software/wget/

Installed it, and it works great!

Old 10-24-2013, 08:00 AM   #2
anon211
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Mac OS X

Rep: Reputation: 1
Quote:
Most search results revealed that while it was a simple matter to add wget, most involved first having Xcode installed. Not wanting to either find the original Mac OSX installation DVD, or download the large Xcode installer
You can also download Command Line Tools (CLT). It provides gcc, wget, etc. without need for installing Xcode and weights just about 100 MB. Very useful thing.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:59 AM   #3
JWJones

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 709Reputation: 709Reputation: 709Reputation: 709Reputation: 709Reputation: 709Reputation: 709
Aahhh, good to know, thanks!

Old 10-26-2013, 04:56 PM   #4
Spect73

Distribution: Slackware 14.1

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWJones View Post
After becoming frustrated with the various GUI options available for web downloads in Mac OSX, and also downloading large files with Firefox, I thought to myself "Duh, why not just use wget in the terminal?"

So I fired up the terminal, only to discover that wget is not available OOTB in Mac OSX. And so, the search was on...

Most search results revealed that while it was a simple matter to add wget, most involved first having Xcode installed. Not wanting to either find the original Mac OSX installation DVD, or download the large Xcode installer, I did, however, find this precompiled package for wget 1.12:

https://www.merenbach.com/software/wget/

Installed it, and it works great!
Does 'fink' no longer exist for the Mac OSX? I ask because I've an old Power Mac G4 with OS 10.4.11 that I used fink to get the *nix style programs I wanted. This worked very good until 10.5 came out and fink changed to support it.

Coordially