LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Linux Mint
User Name
Password
Linux Mint This forum is for the discussion of Linux Mint.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 08-02-2013, 02:00 AM   #31
Netnovice

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled

Good to see you back k3lt01.

Glad to hear about your experience in regard to old tech. I wish I could do more.

Second hand does not sell in Indoensia so no fears of a secind hand retailer taking over. In Indonesia "If it is old it is junk."

There is a different attitude to goods here in Indonesia. Services are cheap but good, compared to income, are massively expensive. So no-one throws anything away or sells anything second hand unless it is bust. I bought a second hand P4 for educatoinal purposes. Dead in three days.

I found out that people sell their computers second hand only when they have broken, get them fixed by a dodgy repairman who uses components that they KNOW will fry within a month and sell the machine on and do a runner!

People live in empty houses and save and save to bed - new, and then a table - new, and cushions, new and furnish over many years. With that system, second hand is a non-starter.

Which means the poor cannot get anything. So this old gear will be of great benefit to people. Just a machine to show basic wordprocessing and spreadsheets on means the difference between a life as a maid on $5 a day or an office worker for $8-15 a day. But it is so hard to get the tech.

It also means that if/when an Indonesian buys a new laptop, they want COOL! they want the BEST for their money and they want eye-candy! Retailers are used to having to spend an hour showing the customer the machine and having to fetch lots of boxes as the customer scrutinises the laptop for the tiniest scratch or blemish.

[BTW, trying to use WIndows 7 on an old AMD atop. U-N-U-S-A-B-L-E.

Class. Gotta go!

Old 08-04-2013, 09:54 AM   #32
911InsideJob

Distribution: Mint KDE

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
Only thing is. I am KDE dyslexic.
Gesundheit... KDE make me break out into hives and all their packages are signed with the Rothschild number 666. It's probably a good choice for corporate indoctrination centers (aka schools) though. [MODERATED]

This might be the last chance to get Mint without it, from what I've been reading in the developer blogs. It's amazing how those Gnome guys managed to p1$$ just about everyone off... I'm jealous. LOL

Last edited by unSpawn; 08-04-2013 at 01:25 PM. Reason: //In violation of the LQ Rules. Do not do that again and do not edit this post.