LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 10-11-2013, 10:16 PM   #1
polpak

Distribution: GNOME openSUSE Leap/Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 21
does html5 replace flash player ?

Does html5 actually replace need to use flash-player ?

IF need replace, what replaces flash-player ?

---related--info ---

http://html5test.com/

My Mozilla Firefox 24.0 on Linux browser scored 414 and 14 bonus points out of a total of 500 points

http://www.html5rocks.com/en/features/multimedia

OK interesting reading, but does this mean we can watch all video formats ?

http://www.simpl.info/index.html

Quote:
As an open standard, HTML5 embodies some of the best aspects of the web: it works everywhere, and on any device with a modern browser. But just as you can only watch HDTV broadcasts on an HD-compatible television, you need to use an up-to-date, HTML5-compatible browser in order to enjoy sites and apps that take advantage of HTML5’s features.

My Mozilla Firefox 24.0 Linux browser seems compatible, still appears to need flash-player to view different video formats ?

http://www.abc.net.au/iview/

Quote:
ABC iview

ABC iview lets you catch up on the best of ABC TV. Watch your favourite programs in full screen at a time that suits you. Most shows are available to watch for 14 days and new programs are added every day.

Download the ABC iview app below to watch on iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch, over Wi-Fi and 3G. Please refer to the iview website FAQs for important information regarding data consumption.
WARNING

Your browser does not seem to be supported. iview requires Adobe Flash Player 11.7 and above, and Javascript to be enabled.

More Info · FAQ · Feedback
and the link shows:

Quote:
NOTE: Adobe Flash Player 11.2 will be the last version to target Linux as a supported platform. Adobe will continue to provide security backports to Flash Player 11.2 for Linux.

Last edited by polpak; 10-11-2013 at 10:17 PM.

Old 10-11-2013, 11:20 PM   #2
k3lt01

Distribution: Debian Wheezy, Jessie, Sid/Experimental, playing with LFS.

Rep: Reputation: 637Reputation: 637Reputation: 637Reputation: 637Reputation: 637Reputation: 637
HTML5 has support for 3 video formats that basically allow anyone using the net to view a video IF the video format is supplied with the web page. The supported video formats are MP4, WebM, and OGG. This is because these formats are usually supported by various supplied codecs in various operating systems and/or browsers.

The problem will be the adoption of the new standard, until now all that was requried was putting in one flash video, now with HTML5 any page with a video should have all 3 video formats so everyone can view the video. While I, personally, do not like flash I can't see full HMTL5 adoption (meaning we no longer need flash) anytime soon.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:47 PM   #3
aus9
LQ 5k Club

Distribution: Icewm

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Hi am aussie but WA pls don't hold that against me

iview displays ok with googe-chrome which has an updating flash plugin

If you can afford the download use FF for your banking email type stuff and use chrome for your flash/iview type sites

good luck

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-12-2013, 12:22 AM   #4
k3lt01

Distribution: Debian Wheezy, Jessie, Sid/Experimental, playing with LFS.

Rep: Reputation: 637Reputation: 637Reputation: 637Reputation: 637Reputation: 637Reputation: 637
I forgot to go through the iView stuff.

I'm with Aus9 use Chrome (or Chromium in Debian using the pepperflash plugin) for Flash content. The ABC is alledgedly working on (and have been for a fair while now if it is true) HTML5 compatabilty for iView. They were also alledgedly working on an Android app but I think that got cancelled. Basically with Google supporting flash through pepperfalsh in Chrome (Chromium) and Adobe not updating flash except for security updates the only way you will be able to continue using iView (or any other flash content) in Linux is by using Chrome (Chromium).

Old 10-12-2013, 09:18 AM   #5
LQ Addict

Distribution: Debian Sid AMD64, Raspbian Wheezy, various VMs

Rep: Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373
Since this is a topic that often has me frustrated I would also like to add that many [all?] commercial streaming services are mandated by the content creators to use encryption for their content. That means that they can never use HTML5 in its current form to display their video content.
This is also why you'll find that a lot of paid-for film services can't be used on Linux without a lot of hoop-jumping* as they use Silverlight which was mandated by the movie creators as they thought the copy protection in Flash wasn't satisfactory.
I'll not get into the "DRM in HTML5" argument but if you're interested read up on it.

*I'm sure I've read of anyone getting them to work outside of Ubuntu and even then I've heard of a lot failing. I haven't kept up to date with it though so perhaps Netflix et al have become easier to use.

Old 10-12-2013, 10:11 PM   #6
polpak

Distribution: GNOME openSUSE Leap/Ubuntu

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 21
Thanks for responses, which help me better understand effect of changes to html5.

Accept commercial needs to recover costs, using some restriction to ensure reasonable returns on investment.

Perhaps elsewhere wider public discussion/campaign of ABC (Australia) changing their distribution video formats to MP4, WebM, and OGG.

With Firefox 24.0 on openSUSE 12.3 am able as soon as re-apply flash to view most videos.

My confusion arose reading discussions re apparent YouTube issue where both purchased and not purchased videos were not playable with and without Flash.

Subscribe to fluendo-codecs-complete-bundle like many, for peace at home :-)

Despite flash here for a while, am trying to reduce flash usage:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...html5/?src=api

Quote:
YouTube ALL HTML5

YouTube ALL HTML5 2.0.0 No Restart
by Klemens Schölhorn

Play all videos on youtube without flash in your preferred size

Seem mostly happy reviews for YouTube ALL HTML5, since version 2.0.0 includes a function to check video quality matches video size then changes where necessary.

Old 10-13-2013, 11:38 AM   #7
jefro

Rep: Reputation: 3619Reputation: 3619Reputation: 3619Reputation: 3619Reputation: 3619Reputation: 3619Reputation: 3619Reputation: 3619Reputation: 3619Reputation: 3619Reputation: 3619
HTML 5 is not a replacement for flash. They are not for the same use.

If they ever get encryption/drm in html5 you might see it. For now if a site requires flash then you need some form of flash or a browser like Chrome that has it somehow. Not sure that will last even.

Old 10-13-2013, 11:47 AM   #8
LQ Addict

Distribution: Debian Sid AMD64, Raspbian Wheezy, various VMs

Rep: Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373
Quote:
Originally Posted by polpak View Post
My confusion arose reading discussions re apparent YouTube issue where both purchased and not purchased videos were not playable with and without Flash.
Some YouTube videos area available in HTML5, some are not and those which you purchase from anywhere, as I said before, are unlikely to be available in HTML5.
Furthermore, when you use YouTube it will usually* default to the Flash version of a video unless you "sign up" to use HTML5 by default.

*I do sometimes get served HTML5 videos by YouTube but it seems to be at random and the same video won't necessarily be served in the same format next time I look for it. I don't use cookies, which might explain the inconsistency but not why certain videos are served as HTML5.

Old 10-15-2013, 08:17 AM   #9
zeebra

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 635Reputation: 635Reputation: 635Reputation: 635Reputation: 635Reputation: 635
Flash is "interactive video" that anyone can make using Flash professional. It can produce a wide range of stuff and the output format is the Flash video. The program is very feature rich, you can do a bunch of quite fantastic and creative things with it, it is very powerful.

For websites, it just happen to be that they got into the habit of wrapping their videos inside a flash file. That is, they "used" flash professional to create the flash video (and codec) which basically just let you see the video in the browser, using the flashplayer. The reason they did it like this was because flash was widely supported by browsers.

So no, html5 does not at all replace flash, but it can do so for static videos.

You know those annoying popups inside videos when you use youtube for example? Those is just another layer the user created on top of the video when wrapping the video in the flash format. If you wanted to you could make a dancing puppet on top of your video, or tons of interactive or creative stuff. But HTML 5 can play static video to replace flash for that function.

So, hopefully no more annoying popups in youtube?

Old 10-15-2013, 05:23 PM   #10
sundialsvcs
LQ Guru

Distribution: Gentoo, LFS

Rep: Reputation: 3905Reputation: 3905Reputation: 3905Reputation: 3905Reputation: 3905Reputation: 3905Reputation: 3905Reputation: 3905Reputation: 3905Reputation: 3905Reputation: 3905
As far as I've been able to sort the topic out, it sort-of comes down like this:
  • Flash is a system that requires a plug-in, but that integrates a pretty good graphics system with a built-in programming system. Trouble is, it didn't make the transition to mobile devices too well, and ... worst of all ... Steve Jobs Dissed It.
  • Silverlight is Microsoft's plug-in to drive "dot-Net" content. (It is actually quite interesting what that system can do, when driven by a Microsoft Windows back-end as intended...)
  • HTML5 is an effort to make the web-browser "video aware," and to make it do so on all types of hardware. The biggest problem that I see with it is that it doesn't include any sort of programming-system other than the venerable (but very long in the tooth ...) JavaScript.
Probable upshot? Just "confusion." You'll wind up supporting all three (more or less) and cursing at all three.