LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Laptop and Netbook
User Name
Password
Linux - Laptop and Netbook Having a problem installing or configuring Linux on your laptop? Need help running Linux on your netbook? This forum is for you. This forum is for any topics relating to Linux and either traditional laptops or netbooks (such as the Asus EEE PC, Everex CloudBook or MSI Wind).

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 12-28-2012, 04:56 AM   #1
mahdi.m
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
installation problem

hi
when i want to install mint 13 on my laptop
after choosing my network connection
the installaition procces stoped and didnt go on.
what is my mistaken?

Old 12-28-2012, 05:16 AM   #2
sycamorex
LQ Veteran

Distribution: Slackware64-current

Rep: Reputation: 1251Reputation: 1251Reputation: 1251Reputation: 1251Reputation: 1251Reputation: 1251Reputation: 1251Reputation: 1251Reputation: 1251
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahdi.m View Post
hi
when i want to install mint 13 on my laptop
after choosing my network connection
the installaition procces stoped and didnt go on.
what is my mistaken?
Hi and welcome to LQ.

It's hard to say without more details. A few things:

1. The latest Mint is 14. Perhaps it'll better to use a more recent version. Also make sure that the iso file is burned correctly.
2. I believe that you can boot Linux Mint DVD without installing it first. If so, but it as Live DVD, connect to your network and start installing it onto the hard drive.

What laptop is it?

Old 12-28-2012, 06:14 AM   #3
mahdi.m
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
problem

2 week ago i install os mint 14
but i have many problem with this version like : search , hanging , usage of ram is more than other version ;
and my biggest problem was hanging out in many procces.
i heard good news about mint 13 .
when i want to install it , i face this problem
i do this steps:
1. i download the iso file of mint 13
2. then , with image writer programm my usb device comming bootable
3. in demo mint, i want to install mint via it's icons on the desktop
4. in third steps of installing(choosing network connection) the procces stoped.
** my laptop is asus x54c
*** sorry for my bad english

Old 12-28-2012, 06:36 AM   #4
sycamorex
LQ Veteran

Rep: Reputation: 1251Reputation: 1251Reputation: 1251Reputation: 1251Reputation: 1251Reputation: 1251Reputation: 1251Reputation: 1251Reputation: 1251
Quote:
but i have many problem with this version like : search , hanging , usage of ram is more than other version ;
Which desktop environment were you using? How do you know/compare the RAM usage if you can't install LM13?

My suggestion would be to try 14 with a different desktop environment.

Quote:
1. i download the iso file of mint 13
Check if md5 sum is correct?
https://www.linuxquestions.org/linux...sum_in_Windows

Quote:
2. then , with image writer programm my usb device comming bootable
Are you installing it from a memory stick? If so, follow the steps below:
http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/744

Quote:
3. in demo mint, i want to install mint via it's icons on the desktop
Do you mean in Mint Live DVD? If so, before clicking on the install icon, can you connect to your network?

Old 12-28-2012, 12:02 PM   #5
mahdi.m
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Thumbs down attention

hello to everyone
i saw mahdi's labtop
we boot every distro
when for example mint boot & live came UP
we press the installation button,,installation freez after wifi selection before partition stage,,
what's the solution?

Old 12-28-2012, 12:12 PM   #6
DavidMcCann
LQ Veteran

Distribution: PCLinuxOS, Debian

Rep: Reputation: 2314Reputation: 2314Reputation: 2314Reputation: 2314Reputation: 2314Reputation: 2314Reputation: 2314Reputation: 2314Reputation: 2314Reputation: 2314Reputation: 2314
First, there's nothing wrong with using version 13. That's the long term support version, which will get bug fixes until 2017!

You shouldn't have any problem with an Asus x54c. The hanging with Mint 14 could be a problem with the installation medium. As well as checking the MD5 sum, you can check the disk/USB before it boots: press a key to get the menu and choose "integrity check".

I'm a bit puzzled by "choosing a network connection". I've just finished testing Mint 14 Xfce, and the installer found my network automatically. I've just checked the Mint User Guide and that doesn't mention choosing a network. Perhaps it only asks if it's having a problem.

You may need to ask for help at the Mint forum, unless a Mint user comes along here.

Old 12-28-2012, 04:27 PM   #7
sycamorex
LQ Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahdi.m View Post
hello to everyone
i saw mahdi's labtop
we boot every distro
when for example mint boot & live came UP
we press the installation button,,installation freez after wifi selection before partition stage,,
what's the solution?
As I said before, check the iso image first. See a link in my previous post (md5sum).

Are you installing from a DVD, a pen drive, or a USB-connected external DVD? If it's a DVD medium and the md5sum is correct, try burning the iso again with the slowest speed available.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:11 PM   #8
movaco
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
mahdi.m: If you are able to run Linux Mint 13 in live mode, before installing it to the hard drive you may want to do some testing. Surf the internet this will tell if network is working properly, open up some applications and see if they do what they are suppose to do. if every thing works accordingly now go ahead and install it to your hard drive just be sure you follow every step on the installation procedure. If the installation fails tell us exactly how far you went, some one might be able to help you, good luck!!

Old 12-31-2012, 12:45 AM   #9
Wim Sturkenboom

Distribution: Ubuntu 12.04, Antix19.3

Rep: Reputation: 282Reputation: 282Reputation: 282
I'm not a Mint user, but does it need a network connection for install? If not, don't use it. It will probably be used to update Mint during the install which can take ages. When I install Ubuntu, I do the updates afterwards; it also can take long, but at least there is an install. I installed Ubuntu once while connected and it took 2 hours or so (versus around 20 minutes for normal install).

I'm not saying that this is the cause of the problems. And of course the question is if the network is working in live mode?