LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Networking
User Name
Password
Linux - Networking This forum is for any issue related to networks or networking.
Routing, network cards, OSI, etc. Anything is fair game.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 10-13-2013, 10:23 AM   #1
Dralnu

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Unable to connect laptop via ethernet to dd-wrt router; desktop connects fine

I flashed my Linksys e1200v2 to dd-wrt (mega build) roughly 6 hours ago, and been having problems ever since. While I believe I have sorted out most of my problems, the problem that is left is the inability of my laptop to connect to this router via gigabit ethernet (yes, I know the e1200 is only a 10/100). My network is simple; My desktop and laptop both plug into a working Netgear ProSafe 5 Port gigabit switch, then a single gigabit ethernet cable connects the switch to the router. The desktop connects fine and is in fact looking at the router's info page. When I attempt to connect to the WiFi from my laptop, things seem to work well. However, when I attempt to connect via ethernet, I can not get an IP address. Specifically, dhcpcd 5.6.4 (Gentoo current stable; used on both systems) on the laptop keeps saying:
Quote:
dhcpcd[560]: eth0: sending IPv6 Router Solicitation
, and avter trying 4 times, gives up on an IPv6 router. After that:
Quote:
dhcpcd[560]: eth0: probing for an IPv4LL address
dhcpcd[560]: eth0: checking for 169.254.195.118
dhcpcd[560]: eth0: using IPv4LL address 169.254.195.118
after which it forks into the background. I even tried
Quote:
dhcpcd -r 192.168.1.11
(which happens to be the IP I assigned to the interface in the hopes of solving the problem).

The only diffrence between the systems that I recall that might make a diffrence is the kernel. The desktop runs 3.10.12 while the laptop runs 3.11.1.

Old 10-14-2013, 02:27 PM   #2
nini09

Rep: Reputation: 161Reputation: 161
Does desktop receive any package from laptop? The information you publish only say that laptop keep sanding.

Old 10-14-2013, 03:06 PM   #3
Dralnu

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
I downgraded the kernel on the laptop and it can now connect. I'm going to have to resolve other issues (including a broken build system) before continuing to fix other issues.