LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Laptop and Netbook
User Name
Password
Linux - Laptop and Netbook Having a problem installing or configuring Linux on your laptop? Need help running Linux on your netbook? This forum is for you. This forum is for any topics relating to Linux and either traditional laptops or netbooks (such as the Asus EEE PC, Everex CloudBook or MSI Wind).

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 06-11-2014, 07:43 AM   #1
NGIB

Distribution: MX, Lubuntu

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
"Standard" install

I've done this and it works but I want to confirm it won't lead to bad things. Scenario: I do a fresh install of a distro on my Core I-7 laptop with Ralink WiFi and nvidia graphics. I don't install any proprietary drivers. I add/remove software and get the system setup as I want it. I then pop this drive out and put it in my work laptop which is a Core I-5 with Intel WiFi and Intel graphics. The system boots and runs fine so I assume it's configured for the different hardware during the initial boot.

Here's what I'd like to do: I "manage" about a dozen computers in my extended family, all laptops, some Intel some AMD, and none over about 6 years old. I'd like to install and update a distro, get it setup as a standard installation in terms of installed software, and then create an installable backup so I can move this standard install to the different computers. Makes it easy to keep them all running well if they are all configured the same way.

I've done this on a small scale using FSArchiver to make the backup and do the restore and it works well. I haven't tried moving the system to an AMD box yet as I don't have one (should have an A-8 box to work with by Friday) but I expect it will work OK.

Comments on the plan anyone? I haven't picked the distro yet but it will likely be Xubuntu, Solydx, or Mint...

Old 06-11-2014, 03:49 PM   #2
jefro

Rep: Reputation: 3619Reputation: 3619Reputation: 3619Reputation: 3619Reputation: 3619Reputation: 3619Reputation: 3619Reputation: 3619Reputation: 3619Reputation: 3619Reputation: 3619
It used to be easier I think. At one time linux was rather box dependent. Installers make a bit tado about devices. Somewhat in the line of windows. BeOS was the only OS I know of that never cared. Then for a while linux was pretty much box independent. Linux developers now have tried to make it look pretty and added some of the video settings to the kernel. Might have to look at your kernel and drivers to be sure how KMS will affect your choices. Might end up with two images or even three. May have to consider vesa or other fall back means to support all systems with one image.

Last edited by jefro; 06-11-2014 at 03:51 PM.

Old 06-11-2014, 05:39 PM   #3
EDDY1
LQ Addict

Distribution: wins7, Debian wheezy

Rep: Reputation: 649Reputation: 649Reputation: 649Reputation: 649Reputation: 649Reputation: 649
With debian it has the option to build kernel with modules specific to the computer being installed to or all drivers which allows you to move drive from 1 computer to another

1 members found this post helpful.