LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Ubuntu
User Name
Password
Ubuntu This forum is for the discussion of Ubuntu Linux.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 03-06-2016, 03:58 PM   #1
Michael Piziak
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2015
Distribution: Ubuntu 14.04 lts
Posts: 98

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
PCSX won't work on new HP Notebook


I have the emulator PCSX, from the software center, working on 3 different Ubuntu computers; however, I can not get it to work on my new HP Notebook that has an Intel Core i3 processor.

Any ideas what the problem could be or where there's a solution?
As soon as I select a game rom, after a few seconds, the entire emulator just goes away.
I can report back any terminal command lines peeps here tell me to enter.

Perhaps I could install the PCSX from terminal and it might work - perhaps a newer or older version would work. Someone do tell how to.

Addendum: At one rare point in time I had PCSX running on this Notebook; however, I had to have the computer serviced under warranty and they wiped everything out at HP. Perhaps there is a library or some component I need to install to get it to work again?


Michael

Last edited by Michael Piziak; 03-07-2016 at 08:46 AM.
 
Old 03-11-2016, 03:45 PM   #2
/dev/random
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Distribution: Slackware 14.1, LFS-current, NetBSD 6.1.3
Posts: 262

Rep: Reputation: 101Reputation: 101
Silly question but is 3D acceleration enabled on the device? do you have the proper drivers?
 
Old 03-11-2016, 04:59 PM   #3
Michael Piziak
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2015
Distribution: Ubuntu 14.04 lts
Posts: 98

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by /dev/random View Post
Silly question but is 3D acceleration enabled on the device? do you have the proper drivers?
Is 3d acceleration enabled in the pcsx emulator app or the computer?
 
Old 03-14-2016, 09:02 AM   #4
/dev/random
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Distribution: Slackware 14.1, LFS-current, NetBSD 6.1.3
Posts: 262

Rep: Reputation: 101Reputation: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Piziak View Post
Is 3d acceleration enabled in the pcsx emulator app or the computer?
The computer... grep glxinfo for direct rendering if it says no, your drivers are either not installed or you have a mis-configured x-server
 
Old 03-14-2016, 11:13 AM   #5
Michael Piziak
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2015
Distribution: Ubuntu 14.04 lts
Posts: 98

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by /dev/random View Post
The computer... grep glxinfo for direct rendering if it says no, your drivers are either not installed or you have a mis-configured x-server

what command line can i type into terminal to display this
 
Old 03-20-2017, 11:09 AM   #6
Michael Piziak
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2015
Distribution: Ubuntu 14.04 lts
Posts: 98

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Piziak View Post
I have the emulator PCSX, from the software center, working on 3 different Ubuntu computers; however, I can not get it to work on my new HP Notebook that has an Intel Core i3 processor.

Any ideas what the problem could be or where there's a solution?
As soon as I select a game rom, after a few seconds, the entire emulator just goes away.
I can report back any terminal command lines peeps here tell me to enter.

Perhaps I could install the PCSX from terminal and it might work - perhaps a newer or older version would work. Someone do tell how to.

Addendum: At one rare point in time I had PCSX running on this Notebook; however, I had to have the computer serviced under warranty and they wiped everything out at HP. Perhaps there is a library or some component I need to install to get it to work again?


Michael
The solution was to find the hidden file "pcsx.cdg" and edit it so that cpu=0 now says cpu=1
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PCSX won't work on new HP Pavilion Notebook Michael Piziak Linux - Software 2 02-17-2016 02:35 PM
Notebook computer won't boot any more Ihaveaquest Linux - Laptop and Netbook 6 10-18-2012 10:02 AM
[SOLVED] Arg! Virtual machine, sudo won't work, can't log in as root, visudo won't work Arg! edpatterson Linux - Newbie 2 01-03-2012 05:33 PM
PCSX won't start. torger Ubuntu 8 06-08-2006 01:30 AM
Notebook won't suspend rwillard Linux - Newbie 7 05-24-2005 11:04 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:15 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration