LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware > Slackware - Installation
User Name
Password
Slackware - Installation This forum is for the discussion of installation issues with Slackware.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 03-09-2017, 01:34 PM   #16
bassmadrigal
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656

Quote:
Originally Posted by scythempress View Post
Completely unsure of what their requirements are and I am fairly certain they don't know either.
Well, the cloud provides a very broad range of services, anything from email, to photo uploads, to file storage, etc. Really, in a very broad sense, the cloud is anything on someone else's computer on the internet. If they provide a "service", it could be considered a cloud service. To try and figure out their requirements, what cloud provider are they using and what services do they use from that provider? That could help determine if setting up your own cloud service for them could be feasible.

Old 03-09-2017, 10:11 PM   #17
scythempress

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Will check that out and let you know.

Old 03-12-2017, 05:54 PM   #18
thordn
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaazen View Post
I had very bad luck with the 1TB WD Green drives and so I say dump it and keep the WD Blue drive.

The greenness of the drive comes from power savings caused by constantly parking the drive when idle. Unfortunately this causes the green drives to live very short lives.

If you must keep the drive lookup the -J option of the hdparm command.

Run the smartctl -a or smartctl -x command against both of the drives to get some idea of the wear and tear.
I have three 2 TB-wd green that was up to over 300 000 head-load/unloads until i was made aware of the problem, so i then disabled the idle-timer. They have been running fine since then and are now at over 55 000 hours power-on time. Added a fourth one for about 21 000 hours ago, and still working ok.