LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Virtualization and Cloud
User Name
Password
Linux - Virtualization and Cloud This forum is for the discussion of all topics relating to Linux Virtualization and Linux Cloud platforms. Xen, KVM, OpenVZ, VirtualBox, VMware, Linux-VServer and all other Linux Virtualization platforms are welcome. OpenStack, CloudStack, ownCloud, Cloud Foundry, Eucalyptus, Nimbus, OpenNebula and all other Linux Cloud platforms are welcome. Note that questions relating solely to non-Linux OS's should be asked in the General forum.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 06-10-2014, 12:40 PM   #1
dijetlo

Distribution: Solaris 11.2/Slackware/RHEL/

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Helpful link for people new to virtualization

I was hanging out with my good friend, Mr Googles, who gave me a basic explanation of the different virtualization techniques commonly in use today.
It even has an nice graphic to help keep things straight.

Last edited by dijetlo; 06-10-2014 at 12:52 PM.

Old 06-10-2014, 01:56 PM   #2
MensaWater
LQ Guru

Distribution: Redhat (RHEL), CentOS, Fedora, CoreOS, Debian, FreeBSD, HP-UX, Solaris, SCO

Rep: Reputation: 1669Reputation: 1669Reputation: 1669Reputation: 1669Reputation: 1669Reputation: 1669Reputation: 1669Reputation: 1669Reputation: 1669Reputation: 1669Reputation: 1669
I'll have to call shenanigans on that link.

It incorrectly indicates that KVM is not a Hypervisor but from the Wikipedia page we see:

Quote:
KVM (Kernel-based Virtual Machine) is a virtualization infrastructure for the Linux kernel which turns it into a hypervisor.

It also incorrectly indicates MS HyperV as not being a full OS installation like a KVM system. Also VMWare IS a full OS installation but it IS also customized for virtualization. (In fact in early VMWare boots the only noticeable difference between the initial boot screens on it and the RHEL version it seems clearly derived from is the name it shows during the boot.)

Saying XEN doesn't require OS installation is also silly - the original Xen installs I saw were on top of RHEL.

It's nice to try to simplify things but that chart in my view is way off.

Old 06-10-2014, 03:59 PM   #3
dyasny

Distribution: RHEL,Fedora

Rep: Reputation: 115Reputation: 115
KVM is a hypervisor, the beauty of it is that it doesn't, like Xen/hyper-v or the new versions of vmware, require dual kernel systems, but shares the single kernel between the hosts and guests. It is more efficient, and this, better, architecture is the only one out there really alowing for some amazing performance none of the other hypervisors are capable of.

To better understand the beauty of the design, look at the graphics here: http://chucknology.com/2012/02/02/kv...ux-xen-is-not/

Old 06-10-2014, 05:54 PM   #4
dijetlo

Distribution: Solaris 11.2/Slackware/RHEL/

Original Poster

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
You probably don't realize this but most of these people think the Hypervisor is the thing that lets you look a the guests desktop, and I'm talking about RHEL certified admins here, not "newbies".
If you have a better way to help new people begin to conceptualize virtualization and emulator stacks, I think there is a critical need for tutorials here at Linuxquestions.org and if you manage to put together something that a moderately technical person can understand, I'll reference it everywhere I go on the internet where I think it might be of help to people.
But it has to be simple to understand. Use the 14 year old test. If your average 14 year old can't read it and understand most of it, you're not going to peak any ones interest sufficiently to get them to invest the time to understand the basics, at which point the entire "Your Hypervisor isn't the thing that lets you watch Netflix on the guest", conversation will make a whole lot more sense to them.
You may have noticed we have an awful lot of anonymous guests on this forum, I'd imagine they represent a significant number of people who've heard of virtualization but don't really understand it.
This post was for them to help them get started, to show them that it all isn't as incomprehensible as it might at first appear to be.

Quote:
I'll have to call shenanigans on that link
You chose to call shenanigans on that link because it was low hanging fruit, Don't kid yourself.

Last edited by dijetlo; 06-10-2014 at 05:59 PM.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:46 AM   #5
MensaWater
LQ Guru

Distribution: Redhat (RHEL), CentOS, Fedora, CoreOS, Debian, FreeBSD, HP-UX, Solaris, SCO

Rep: Reputation: 1669Reputation: 1669Reputation: 1669Reputation: 1669Reputation: 1669Reputation: 1669Reputation: 1669Reputation: 1669Reputation: 1669Reputation: 1669Reputation: 1669
I "called shenanigans on it" as an amusing (to me at least) reference to South Park but then explained why I felt it wasn't a good depiction of virtualization.

Explaining things to your average 14 year old by giving them misinformation like that contained in the link is a good way to have them tune you out.

Much of the reason some of the teens in my generation moved on to hard drugs despite the inherent dangers in same was because we were fed obvious BS about the dangers of Marijuana and Alcohol in "health" classes. To be sure there are dangers in any drugs but equating marijuana use with heroin and cocaine use was a bad idea. If you tried the former and didn't experience the extreme effects ascribed to it you were more willing to believe (incorrectly) that the latter two weren't as bad as they said.