LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Desktop
User Name
Password
Linux - Desktop This forum is for the discussion of all Linux Software used in a desktop context.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 10-01-2013, 09:35 PM   #1
rootytooty
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Terminal asks for password

I am trying to add things like Flash, as there is no Flash in the new 13.4, and a couple other things. I follow the instructions on the Terminal. But when I type in the words it comes back and asks for my password. The only password that I now that I have is the one to get in to my Netbook. But there must be one for using the Terminal to add apps or other things to my machine.

Also, I see there is a new Beta out of 13.10. I go to the Software update icon and I click on it and it doesn't bring up software or the Beta if 13.10. Is this part of the 13.04????

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bobby

Old 10-01-2013, 09:39 PM   #2
TobiSGD

Distribution: Whatever fits the task best

Rep: Reputation: 4886Reputation: 4886Reputation: 4886Reputation: 4886Reputation: 4886Reputation: 4886Reputation: 4886Reputation: 4886Reputation: 4886Reputation: 4886Reputation: 4886
Assuming that you use Ubuntu, the password is the same as the password for your user.
Seeing that you seem not to be very experienced with Linux I recommend not to use the beta. Beta's are meant for experienced users that want to help with finding and fixing bugs. To do that you must be able to handle the bugs that every beta has, which is a roadblock for most newbies.

Old 10-01-2013, 09:49 PM   #3
rootytooty
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Thanks I have tried my normal log in but I will try it again. I have been using Linux for awhile but you are correct, not very technically knowledgeable yet, so I will leave the beta alone. Side note----I see you are from Hanover, my mom was from Hamburg and my dad from Bautzen.

Thanks,
Bobby

Old 10-02-2013, 12:05 PM   #4
lleb

Distribution: CentOS/Fedora/Pop!_OS

Rep: Reputation: 551Reputation: 551Reputation: 551Reputation: 551Reputation: 551Reputation: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootytooty View Post
Thanks I have tried my normal log in but I will try it again.
if you are using the sudo command it will be without the user name, but if you are prompted for user, then that is your user name. hit enter, then you will be prompted for a p/w. type your p/w there.

you can also just open a konsole from within your GUI (or terminal) and not be prompted for the user/pw combo until you issue a sudo command.