LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Networking
User Name
Password
Linux - Networking This forum is for any issue related to networks or networking.
Routing, network cards, OSI, etc. Anything is fair game.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 02-06-2013, 05:29 PM   #16
Pedroski

Distribution: Ubuntu 20.04

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 73
no cable

I unplugged the dsl cable this morning. nm says I am connected to the wifi. I ran:
pedro@pedro-bedro:~$ nslookup web.qq.com
Server: 127.0.0.1
Address: 127.0.0.1#53

** server can't find web.qq.com: REFUSED

pedro@pedro-bedro:~$

If the dsl cable is unplugged, tcpdump produces a lot of data. All my open web pages are trying to use the wifi, and all are 'Refused'

I also changed the setting in the router to 'open', but that did not help, even then I have no internet via wifi.

How can I change 'Refused' to 'Accepted'??

Last edited by Pedroski; 02-06-2013 at 05:46 PM.

Old 02-14-2013, 04:25 AM   #17
Pedroski

Distribution: Ubuntu 20.04

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 73
Happy End: My Internet TV went wrong, we called China Telecom, they sent a man. TV box was broke he gave us a new one. I asked him if he knew why my mobile could not connect to the wlan. He said get your laptop. He entered 192.168.1.1 BUT he did not enter the username and password on the back of the router. He entered telecomadmin and some very long old password. He landed on a different webpage to the one I could access. He put my internet username and password in the WLAN section, and now it works fine! I can connect using Linux, my Android phone or an iPhone. Also, that seems to disabled the dsl. Now I just connect to the wired network.

How Windows connected to the WLAN is a mystery. It is a good trick, Linux should learn it. Somehow Windows must push the username and pasword to the router or isp when the router is not set up with the internet username and password, because it can connect to the wlan in such a situation, where Linux cannot. Anyone know how??

Old 02-14-2013, 05:37 AM   #18
acid_kewpie

Distribution: Gentoo, RHEL, Fedora, Centos

Rep: Reputation: 1985Reputation: 1985Reputation: 1985Reputation: 1985Reputation: 1985Reputation: 1985Reputation: 1985Reputation: 1985Reputation: 1985Reputation: 1985Reputation: 1985
Odd, so it basically looks like the pptp connection that the router would conventionally establish was being delegated to the windwos box. It's quite possible that you could have taken those same details and created a pptp connection from Linux too, authenticating directly to the ISP, but clearly that's very non-standard for a home network. Maybe there was some form of mobility angle, as this was more common about a decade ago when there were a lot of Speedtouch 330 devices used instead of actual ADSL routers. I generally recommended using them for Conker fights instead of internet conenctions and to put a real router in there instead. These basically just bridged you into the ISP network, meaning you woudl connect on the PC itself like you were. Happily that model died a death anywhere I saw it years ago.