LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > Linux User Groups (LUG)
User Name
Password
Linux User Groups (LUG) This forum allows Linux User Groups (LUG) to gain exposure. It also allows people looking for a LUG in their area to find one.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 01-02-2013, 03:07 PM   #1
ms_chevis

Distribution: Fedora

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
linux lugs

i would really love to be a part of a loal lug group but i can only find 2 groups in alaska.. oe appears to be active but is about 450 miles away and the one in town appears to be dead as the most recent date i could fine was an 06 date. It is part of the state University here in Fairbanks and so must have a teacher member who i contacted but have not recieved a reply back. So my question is am i out of luck or is there a way to find local users.. my town maybe small but Im sure im not the only linux user

the two websites i found are if that helps...

http://www.aklug.org/
http://linux0.cs.uaf.edu/

Last edited by ms_chevis; 01-02-2013 at 03:08 PM.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:50 AM   #2
amani

Distribution: Debian 64-bit GNU/Linux, Kubuntu64, Fedora QA, Slackware,

Start your own GLUG (GNU/Linux users group) or form a free software group with more focus or join a big community like Fedora...

Old 01-04-2013, 01:01 PM   #3
ms_chevis

Original Poster
how do i do that? i mean form my own group

Old 01-04-2013, 10:25 PM   #4
frankbell
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware, Ubuntu MATE, Mageia, and whatever VMs I happen to be playing with

Rep: Reputation: 6124Reputation: 6124Reputation: 6124Reputation: 6124Reputation: 6124Reputation: 6124Reputation: 6124Reputation: 6124Reputation: 6124Reputation: 6124Reputation: 6124
Here's an article on how to do just that.

http://tuxradar.com/content/spice-your-lug

I've done some organizing and I'll make a few suggestions. When I started using Linux, there was no LUG anywhere near enough for me to attend. When I moved to my current location, I found a LUG. It was so nice to be able to say "/etc/fstab" and have people know what I meant!

This is community organizing you are talking about. It's the geek community, but it's still community organizing and it can be hard work and frustrating--be prepared for that.

If you can find just one other person who shares your interest, it will buck your spirits up immensely.

1. Scout out a place to meet. At first it doesn't have to be a meeting room; it could be a living room, maybe a library. But it will need to have a network connection. Once you have a few persons, they you can look for a better location. I would counsel against a place that requires a fee until you have at least one or two other persons.

2. Advertise. A website is almost required, given the target audience; you're looking for geeks, and geeks will look on the innerwebs before they look anywhere else (that's why I think something like Craig's List would be a non-starter). A simple one will do for starts. In a small community, maybe even put up notices in the local grocery stores (in my part of the country, a lot of grocery stores had bulletin boards for community announcements).

If you have a local newspaper or radio station, they might be willing to run an ad or perhaps even a little story: "Local Linux Enthusiast Starts Club." Try the local high school or community college. Maybe offer to give a presentation on installing/using Linux.

3. Don't give up. I know some folks who started a group in Philadelphia (not a LUG, a political group). For the first six months, it was just the two of them having drinks together every Tuesday night, hoping someone will show up. The group is still meeting eight years later, only now from 20 to 40 persons show up every Tuesday night.

Good luck and go for it.

Last edited by frankbell; 01-04-2013 at 10:27 PM.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:58 PM   #5
ms_chevis

Original Poster
thank you... i have not had time toread your linkbut it is book marked. website you say... ill have to work on that maybe i an find someone to build me one since i only know basic html

Old 01-07-2013, 08:53 PM   #6
frankbell
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware, Ubuntu MATE, Mageia, and whatever VMs I happen to be playing with

Rep: Reputation: 6124Reputation: 6124Reputation: 6124Reputation: 6124Reputation: 6124Reputation: 6124Reputation: 6124Reputation: 6124Reputation: 6124Reputation: 6124Reputation: 6124
I think the easiest way to get started with a website might be to use blogging software, such as WordPress. It can be very simple, but offers the ability of more advanced features when you need them. With a little knowledge of basic HTML, you can be off and running very quickly.

About dot com has some good HTML tutorials, if you have the time and inclination.

Old 06-03-2013, 12:07 AM   #7
daemox
LQ Newbie

Thumbs up Fairbanks/UAF LUG

Hey ms_chevis,

If you are still in the Fairbanks area get back to me. I am currently looking at starting up a local LUG.

Cheers,

Old 06-06-2013, 07:46 PM   #8
ms_chevis

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by daemox View Post
Hey ms_chevis,

If you are still in the Fairbanks area get back to me. I am currently looking at starting up a local LUG.

Cheers,
Sorry for taking so long to respond but these days I'm way busy... to busy for a lug but created a Facebook page... and someone joined the group he might be interested... not to be mean but he doesn't sound like he has any technical linux knowledge so if your looking for that sorry but sure he'd join as a member... you can find him un the group.. on Facebook . Search fairbanks Alaska lug