LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 10-23-2013, 04:24 PM   #1
georgewhr

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Question how to write the compiler command or in Makefile to ARMv6

I was trying to compile a kernel module for my raspberry pi which runs 3.6.11+ Linux kerne. The kernel source on my development host is as same as the one running on rpi. When I do "modinfo spidev.ko" which is compiled on my host machine,
it shows "vermagic: 3.6.11+ preempt mod_unload modversions ARMv5".

However when I do "modinfo spidev.ko"(this module which comes with the image I downloaded from internet is under /lib/modules/kernel/drivers/spidev.ko in my raspberry pi), it shows "3.6.11+ preempt mod_unload modversions ARMv6".

Becasue the first one is ARMv5 so that it cannot be insmod to raspberry.

So does anybody know how to specify ARMv6 when I cross-compile the module on my host?

Old 10-24-2013, 11:49 AM   #2
rtmistler

Distribution: MINT Debian, Angstrom, SUSE, Ubuntu, Debian

Rep: Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930
You should review the documentation for how configure tools to build the RPi kernel, here's one option:

http://elinux.org/RPi_Kernel_Compilation

Old 10-25-2013, 12:31 PM   #3
georgewhr

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtmistler View Post
You should review the documentation for how configure tools to build the RPi kernel, here's one option:

http://elinux.org/RPi_Kernel_Compilation
Hi rtmistler, thanks for your help. I did add the extra flag in my Makefile as the website said. My Makefile is like below

obj-m += hello.o
HOSTCFLAGS=-march=armv6zk -mtune=arm1176jzf-s
all:
make -C /home/gwang/raspi_tool/kernel M=$(PWD) modules
clean:
make -C /home/gwang/raspi_tool/kernel M=$(PWD) clean

But however I did "modinfo hello.ko" after I compiled it. It still shows the arch is ARMv5.

Here below is compile message it gives:

gwang@george-dell:~/Dropbox/modules$ make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-bcm2708-linux-gnueabi-
make -C /home/gwang/raspi_tool/kernel M=/home/gwang/Dropbox/modules modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/gwang/raspi_tool/kernel'
CC [M] /home/gwang/Dropbox/modules/hello.o
/home/gwang/Dropbox/modules/hello.c:1:0: warning: "MODULE" redefined [enabled by default]
this is the location of the previous definition
/home/gwang/Dropbox/modules/hello.c:3:0: warning: "__KERNEL__" redefined [enabled by default]
<command-line>:0:0: note: this is the location of the previous definition
Building modules, stage 2.
MODPOST 1 modules
WARNING: "__gnu_mcount_nc" [/home/gwang/Dropbox/modules/hello.ko] undefined!
CC /home/gwang/Dropbox/modules/hello.mod.o
LD [M] /home/gwang/Dropbox/modules/hello.ko
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/gwang/raspi_tool/kernel

gwang@george-dell:~/Dropbox/modules$ modinfo hello.ko
filename: hello.ko
license: GPL
srcversion: 81534A67BAB6D41BF92CCE5
depends:
vermagic: 3.6.11+ mod_unload modversions ARMv5 p2v8

***********************************************************************************

Old 10-25-2013, 02:05 PM   #4
rtmistler

Rep: Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930
I think the proper term is "CFLAGS" not "HOSTCFLAGS", but those are the correct terms to use.

Another option which I didn't think of before is to build the module "on" the raspberry pi. That will clearly use the on system libraries an produce a result which will work on that machine.

Old 10-25-2013, 04:12 PM   #5
georgewhr

Original Poster
I changed to CFLAGS but I still get the ARMv5 version module.
Did you mean build the module directly on ras pi? I guess that's possible gonna work but I still want to try out on host machine...

Quote:
I think the proper term is "CFLAGS" not "HOSTCFLAGS", but those are the correct terms to use.

Another option which I didn't think of before is to build the module "on" the raspberry pi. That will clearly use the on system libraries an produce a result which will work on that machine.

Old 10-26-2013, 04:14 AM   #6
georgewhr

Original Poster
Smile

Quote:

Hey man, I got it works, just change CONFIG_CPU_32v5 to CONFIG_CPU_32v6 in ./include/config/auto.conf and it will become armv6, but I still have to figure out how to add "preempt" option.

Old 10-28-2013, 08:37 AM   #7
rtmistler

Congrats! I've not mucked with the kernel preempt option if that's what you're referring too. Pretty sure there's info on that available via some general web searching.