LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware > Slackware - ARM
User Name
Password
Slackware - ARM This forum is for the discussion of Slackware ARM.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 04-18-2014, 06:21 AM   #1
justwantin

Distribution: Slackware, Slackwarearm

Rep: Reputation: 120Reputation: 120
rpi-update on slackware arm

I did an install of slackware arm current (as of 8 april) today using fatdog's image, kernel, etc. and after a quick play around I ran rpi-update which gave me a shiny new /lib/modules/3.10.37+ and I expect the newest firmware but the kernel was not upgraded or so it seemed, after trying several more times and having a look around it turned out kernel upgrades were going into /boot and not the vfat partition, mmcblk0p1. I copied the new kernel and other updated files over and rebooted to a 3.10.37 kernel. I don't remember having to do this after my last install back in December. Is this something to be expected. It is not mentioned on the fatdog rpiupdate page.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:46 AM   #2
louigi600

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 81
I've not tried rpi-update but I suspect that all would work if you mount the vfat partition in /boot.

Old 04-22-2014, 01:29 AM   #3
justwantin

Distribution: Slackware, Slackwarearm

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 120Reputation: 120
Quote:
I've not tried rpi-update but I suspect that all would work if you mount the vfat partition in /boot.
I don't think there would be any problem with that at all. I hadn't bothered doing that on any pi/slack installs as it didn't seem necessary for any reason. perhaps that is how raspbian is set up since rpi-update was intended to update raspbian.

There is also the ability to use rpi-update to install the modules elsewhere. So if my vfat partition is mounted as /mnt/pi-boot I could do this
Code:
ROOT_PATH=/ BOOT_PATH=/mnt/pi-boot rpi-update
There's a few more options, if your interested look here: https://github.com/Hexxeh/rpi-update