LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 12-31-2013, 12:59 AM   #1
nihalkaradan
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Wink Linux programming

I am a professional programmer and created many apps for android i want start learning to code linux and start a new beggining on opensource programming where progrmming is free please help me where to start

Old 12-31-2013, 03:27 AM   #2
druuna
LQ Veteran

Rep: Reputation: 2405Reputation: 2405Reputation: 2405Reputation: 2405Reputation: 2405Reputation: 2405Reputation: 2405Reputation: 2405Reputation: 2405Reputation: 2405Reputation: 2405
Quote:
Originally Posted by nihalkaradan View Post
i want start learning to code linux and start a new beggining on opensource programming where progrmming is free please help me where to start
That is a rather general statement.

- What exactly do you want to do?
- Do you have (general) Linux experience?
- What programming experience do you have (C, C++, shell, asm, perl, ??, ??)?
- Do you want to do kernel related stuff or be part of an (open source) project or start your own project?

Without a more detailed description of what it is you want it is rather hard to point you in a specific direction.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:30 AM   #3
TB0ne
LQ Guru

Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS

Rep: Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965
Quote:
Originally Posted by nihalkaradan View Post
I am a professional programmer and created many apps for android i want start learning to code linux and start a new beggining on opensource programming where progrmming is free please help me where to start
Well, if you're already a professional programmer that has worked with Android:
  • You already know how to program
  • Since Android apps are written in Java or C/C++, those are already free to develop in
  • There is no cost to develop Android apps...the toolkits, development environment, and SDK's are free.
So what do you need to learn? Linux supports MANY languages, two of which you already know. Your question is very vague.

Old 12-31-2013, 05:46 PM   #4
bangkokguy
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
I am a professional programmer who recently switched to linux. The first thing which I've had to learn is obviously linux. It could be in your case the first step, too.