LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Linux Power User Bundle
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 07-20-2017, 07:33 PM   #16
polpak

Distribution: openSUSE Leap 42.1 (x86_64)

Rep: Reputation: 9

Confirm self long found it simpler, certainly feels quicker, to first open LibreOffice with none of Writer, Calc, Impress, Draw, Math, or Base open.

Old 07-21-2017, 12:19 AM   #17
miqrojamie
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Xubuntu

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
It might make a difference depending on your computer's specifications as previously stated. LibreOffice is a pretty heavy program though, so don't be too surprised that it gets a bit slow.

Old 07-24-2017, 09:41 AM   #18
snowpine

Rep: Reputation: 1182Reputation: 1182Reputation: 1182Reputation: 1182Reputation: 1182Reputation: 1182Reputation: 1182Reputation: 1182Reputation: 1182
Surprising but impressive results, that the spreadsheet loads so much faster with LXDE desktop!

Old 07-24-2017, 10:14 AM   #19
Shadow_7

Distribution: debian

Rep: Reputation: 668Reputation: 668Reputation: 668Reputation: 668Reputation: 668Reputation: 668
Large spreadsheet... Is likely exceeding your RAM and going to tmpfs or swap. So which distro wouldn't matter much. Having a faster storage device would probably help more. Or more RAM, which probably isn't an option on older things since you'd need more than 4GB (probably). You can get 8GB+ ram computers for $300-$500 USD these days. udoo x86 ultra or mint box mini pro. My current laptop with 8GB ram is on sale for $299 right now. Lots of options, probably not much of an option on the older computer.

If you don't need libreoffice for the spreadsheet, there are other spreadsheet programs out there which are less needy for system resources and probably more of a bump than switching distros. Beyond that you can slim down your current distro and stop printing services, email, networking daemons, file sharing, and whatever else starts by default that you are not actively using. It'll free up some RAM and some CPU resources, but probably not enough for a noticeable difference. Enough for an extra 5 to 15 fps on a game, which is noticeable if you're only getting 15fps on said game. But on a spreadsheet, you probably wouldn't notice. So it takes 30 seconds to finisn an operation instead of 45 before you can use your computer again, which doesn't matter cause you're already away from your desk getting a drink while waiting.

Old 07-30-2017, 07:18 AM   #20
ajohn

Distribution: OpenSuse Leap

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Noticing the comment just install another desktop and log into it perhaps I should post my experience in that area. This was on opensuse but as far as I know all distro's that are up to date organisation wise currently have the same problem - XDG settings and the mechanisms that are currently being used.

I usually use KDE. I installed lxde this way. When I logged into it I found I had a mix of lxde and kde applications available but running under LXDE's windows manager and not KDE's Qt. As I log in with SDDM I could also forget to change the window manager from the last one used and run KDE under LXDE's window manager. OpenBox in this case. Really weird result and after a while KDE popped up an option to correct things and did. I also found that I now had all of the LXDE applications available in KDE's menu. I tried this because of a post on the opensuse forum suggesting that to really experience LXDE it needs to be installed on it's own. I tried to isolate it but it's not that easy so I'd say that is a fact. I then did a dual boot install for it.

That boots up more quickly than KDE and uses very little memory. Memory usage on KDE isn't that simple a subject though. I ran the last release of V4 on a netbook with 2gig of ram. It was fine for browsing and also Kstars and one or two other things. As mentioned though processing power might slow down something like a spreadsheet. I haven't tried this on V5 yet - waiting for a more finalised release on my distro.

One thing that I have noticed on the pure LXDE install is a very slight reduction in responsiveness over KDE. That's down to a larger gulp of processor usage when I launch something etc. I have 24gb of ram and kde and linux keeps more in memory than it could on even a 4gb set up.

What I think the OP needs to do really is look for lighter weight applications. Pages like this may help. There will be others just google linux lightweight - what ever you want.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/lightes...ograms-old-pc/

Looking at that page I notice the midori web browser is mentioned. I tried that out of curiosity but found that it couldn't cope with some commercial websites. Might be the package or the version provided by my distro.

John
-

Last edited by ajohn; 07-30-2017 at 07:20 AM.