LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General
User Name
Password
General This forum is for non-technical general discussion which can include both Linux and non-Linux topics. Have fun!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 07-06-2017, 03:29 PM   #31
dave@burn-it.co.uk

Distribution: Puppy

Rep: Reputation: 90

NASA were looking for Fortran Programmers just the other week!!

Old 07-07-2017, 11:14 PM   #32
Doug G

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
"Amateur Radio" is not exactly dead."
Who said it was? My license expired when I was floating around the far east in the USN and I never got around to getting back into ham radio. But Amateur Radio has remained active for all the decades since, there was recently an article in the paper about an upcoming field day here in SoCal. Actually, I was disappointed when the code requirement for a new license was eliminated.

Old 07-08-2017, 06:57 AM   #33
jmccue

Distribution: slackware

Rep: Reputation: 117Reputation: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeratul View Post
There is nothing worst than XML ...
json ? These new fangled formats drive me crazy, plain text or maybe csv is all one needs, now get off my lawn

Old 07-11-2017, 10:36 AM   #34
Harnando
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeratul View Post
Hello,

Plain text is Freedom !

Surprising we are still using many formats that lock the user to the use of given software. If you use a specific software for a document, worst would be proprietary closed software, then you will end up in being dependent to this software.

I think that we should promote and try as good a possible plain text, for documents.

TeX or LaTeX is a good example of markup language, which gives the user almost complete freedom.

Any editor such as nano, vim, emacs,... can do the visual thing, or programmed applications can easily read or reformat it.

- Plain text is large ?
You can anytime use gzip.

Do you still use Libreoffice?
Are referring for coding purposes, or just the registry for the "copyright" someone can place on their sorted script that someone can register without worrying of it being overruled by the original Code Editor's program? I'll be frank I'm trying to get myself into the programming field myself, but with crap like Java and the like, (I do find myself particularly curiously interested in python.) However I had opened up a topic about compiler accumulation, where I was trying to ask the best to work with both window's and which presorted code could be redistributed to another computer with Ubuntu on it to continue programming in Vim, if I was interested. Of course I know nothing about the proper terminology so that discussion dissolved slowly, and I lost interest asking further about the topic. I will say that this "Plain Text is Freedom !" notion from what primitive "post-Neanderthal" shaped mind can't help but think you're referring to coding in BASIC or something; to that I would say that Python is most certainly a step up in the argument.

Old 07-17-2017, 06:51 AM   #35
YesItsMe

Rep: Reputation: 12
Quote:
Plain text is Freedom !
Time to use Gopher!

Old 07-17-2017, 12:58 PM   #36
Xeratul

Distribution: FreeBSD

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 211Reputation: 211Reputation: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by YesItsMe View Post
Time to use Gopher!
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Gopher ?

Old 07-17-2017, 12:59 PM   #37
YesItsMe

This.

Old 07-17-2017, 01:18 PM   #38
Xeratul

Original Poster
Quote:
This.
was (or is) it better?

Old 07-17-2017, 01:21 PM   #39
YesItsMe

I, personally, consider it to be better than the bloated web. I share Cameron Kaiser's view about this.

Old 07-17-2017, 02:24 PM   #40
Xeratul

Original Poster
Quote:
I, personally, consider it to be better than the bloated web. I share Cameron Kaiser's view about this.
Bloated html was the worst solution, but well, now it is everywhere, but really very everywhere.

Even the graphical interfaces are communicating sometimes in HTML.

Libreoffice uses html too, man, svg is cool cool cool. Everyone will prize it. => Well, I have no word.