LinuxQuestions.org
View the Most Wanted LQ Wiki articles.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General
User Name
Password
Linux - General This Linux forum is for general Linux questions and discussion.
If it is Linux Related and doesn't seem to fit in any other forum then this is the place.

Notices



Closed Thread
 
Search this Thread
Old 10-25-2014, 08:32 PM   #181
k3lt01
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2011
Location: Australia
Distribution: Debian Wheezy, Jessie, Sid/Experimental, playing with LFS.
Posts: 2,899

Rep: Reputation: 623Reputation: 623Reputation: 623Reputation: 623Reputation: 623Reputation: 623

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwulf View Post
If you're hooked in by advertising, then you miss the point of "free software"...
Don't confuse advertising on an official website with a paid advertisiment on the radio or TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwulf View Post
Disappointment is lessened if expectations aren't too high to start with, the banshee, amazon, gnome thing among other things had already set the bar...
For you they had set the bar but others aren't quite as cynical as you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwulf View Post
Yet not one of your statements are blanket statements - it works both ways. I'm willing to admit a little bias and generalisation are you?
Most certainly I am. and when you point out which particular statements you have a problem with I'll happily discuss them here with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwulf View Post
You posted criticism about canonical/buntu and the amazon lens - I posted some counter points. Sorry you feel bitter about it. You're also 'continuing', or is it the case that you feel you are somehow entitled to the last word? I see it a lot that you resort to the same arguments - e.g. why is the other person still pursuing this. Unfortunately for you, the other person can... you might not like it nor agree with the other person - tough shit - your views aren't gospel. In fact to me your views on the matter aren't worth shit.
I posted what people felt about Dash because someone asked about spyware. You posted how Ubuntu users are whingers and sheeples.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwulf View Post
You said that buntu had claimed it would always be free. Instead of playing forum lawyer, explain why you said that unless why you are alluding that buntu is no longer free.
I did explain it when I said it. You then chose not to see that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwulf View Post
More pendantic lawyering - it's had the firefox google spyware enabled since at least 6.10 - 8 years... the year before the shopping lens there was the amazon/banshee scandal - so how did this come as a surprise. Debian's iceweasel doesn't disable it either. You're implying that users perceptions of "african freedom linux" were utterly shattered with the amazon shopping lens scanadal, I'm saying that's it's no real shock and plenty of shit happened before this.
No you did not say that at all. You said
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwulf
The OS always provided 3rd party software which spied on you
and I asked for one package from the first release. Your statement has been proved to be false and now you're banging on about "pedantic lawyering". As for African freedom I haven't mentioned it at all but it is something you injected into the discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwulf View Post
Ok so if you know better, if you know for 100% certain that the Debian derivative was wholly for altruistic reasons - enlighten us.
What particular part of (spelling errors included)
Quote:
Originally Posted by k3lt01
In your opinion, which I am not sayi8ng is right or wrong becaus I do not know the absolute inner depths of Shuttleworth's mind like you appear to think you do.
don't you quite understand? I don't know what Shuttleworth was thinking I have said it twice now but you most certainly appear to think you do know what he was thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwulf View Post
If and when that ever becomes your business you'll be the first to know.
For someone who gripes about people not changing distro instead of complaining (or voicing disappointment, you certainly have had a fair share of moves. What distros have you tried to help become better by voicing your disappointment before you just silently jumped ship? If you haven't offered any constructive criticism while being a user you really haven't helped Foss all that much. The fact you are now whining about people whining about the distro they use is fascinating (psychologically of course).

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwulf View Post
Are we getting anywhere? You could have fooled me... You made a lot of blanked statements as well, but of course they don't count... you also voiced an opinion that "a small but extremely vocal group of Debian users who are complaining about systemd", perhaps we should ask you to back that one up as well? The complaints about systemd also came from Debian developers and were on the Debian mailing lists and from upstream developers and from other distributions and operating systems. systemd attracted a lot of flack from more than just this "minority" you speak of.
I am so glad you brought that up, again. I indicated that it was my opinion that it was only a small but vocal number. When did you, until the last couple of posts not generalise about Ubuntu users? Also lets be honest how many Debian users take part in mailing lists or post on the forums? Do you think the number would be 100%, 90%, 80%, 70%, 60 %, 50 %, 40%, 30%, 20%, 10%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwulf View Post
Get your facts straight - the forums has been owned by canonical since 2007.
I have no problem in being proved incorrect. I remember joining the forums about the time 7.10 was released. I also remember much later on one of the mods posting that one of the other Mods (administrators) was the owner of the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwulf View Post
If you think my claim that the tech press exaggerate and publish utter bollocks just to get a story is conspiracy theorist, then you obviously have no concept of a "conspiracy theory".
http://dictionary.reference.com/brow...spiracy+theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwulf View Post
This is your weakness in that you attack your own perception of the poster rather than their arguments.
I admit you think my argument is weak and I have no problem with that simply because I likewise think your argument is weak based on the fact you attack a group of people for voicing disappointment. You would rather that they silently did like you do and jump ship to another distro or even OS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwulf View Post
See what I mean?
So it is ok for you to attack Ubuntu users because they didn't stop using Ubuntu? How do you know they haven't gone to Kubuntu or another variant? or Mint?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwulf View Post
Ok.... randicus mentioned systemd - I did not - in response to which you mentioned me and "converting" people to "BSD" in the same post? And it seems that you are allowed to do that...? How exactly is that keeping the topic "on track"...?
How is post number 6 keeping on topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwulf View Post
Honestly I've got no idea what the fuck you're talking about
Well done, it's nice to see you can't hold a normal conversation without resorting to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwulf View Post
despite your having a better mind than us mere mortals.
I never asked you yo put me on a pedestal so I wont accept your "mere mortal" line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwulf View Post
If you don't like buntu you're not the first
Say what, go and read my first post in this thread and tell me where it says I don't like Ubuntu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwulf View Post
but honestly banging on about a bit of spyware considering that most Linux users knew what buntu were about years ago, seems impotent at best.
I haven't "banged on about" anything. I am replying to you who thinks Ubuntu users are whingers for voicing disappointment but not following your lead and jumping ship silently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwulf View Post
You've also moved on, so I don't get why you're still bitter about it.
I'm not bitter, I wasn't using Ubuntu when it was introduced. The problem here is you think my posting what people felt means I also felt it. You are the person banging on and are showing bitterness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwulf View Post
Obviously you were deceived by the marketing and then felt let down, sorry about that, but honestly I thought you were a clever enough fucker not to be taken in.
You let yourself down severely when you have to resort to such language. I wasn't let down, you however seem to be let down that people didn't follow you.
 
Old 10-25-2014, 09:09 PM   #182
Randicus Draco Albus
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2011
Location: Wallowing in a pit of despair.
Distribution: OpenBSD
Posts: 1,398
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 424Reputation: 424Reputation: 424Reputation: 424Reputation: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by k3lt01 View Post
Don't confuse advertising on an official website with a paid advertisiment on the radio or TV.
What is the difference? Advertising is promotion. The purpose is to increase awareness, and therefore, use of, a product or service. What difference does the medium hosting the advertisement make? Other than advertising on radio and television requires paying someone else, while advertising on one's own website does not require paying someone else.

Quote:
How is post number 6 keeping on topic.
It does not. The purpose was to draw attention to, in cynwulf's estimation, the fact that the thread was another attempt by the OP to troll. A successful attempt, judging by the length and staying power of the thread.
 
Old 10-25-2014, 09:20 PM   #183
Drakeo
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2008
Location: Urbana IL
Distribution: Slackware, Slacko,
Posts: 2,658
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 224Reputation: 224Reputation: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randicus Draco Albus View Post
You may want all of Qt, but some people do not. They only want parts of it. Why force others to install a buch of packages they do not want, so you do not have the "inconvenience" of needing to install several packages, instead of just one? Should a disto remove choice to cater to only one type of user?
what part of qt is not used ?

Last edited by Drakeo; 10-25-2014 at 09:29 PM.
 
Old 10-25-2014, 09:38 PM   #184
Randicus Draco Albus
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2011
Location: Wallowing in a pit of despair.
Distribution: OpenBSD
Posts: 1,398
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 424Reputation: 424Reputation: 424Reputation: 424Reputation: 424
You tell me.
Quote:
No you dont you want this or that. No I want qt the whole GD thing
You complained about Qt having more than one package, instead of having all of them bundled together as a single download. (That is a meta-package, which would greatly surprise me if Ubuntu does not have them.)
 
Old 10-25-2014, 10:13 PM   #185
onebuck
Moderator
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Location: Midwest USA, Central Illinois
Distribution: Slackware®
Posts: 11,473
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 1525Reputation: 1525Reputation: 1525Reputation: 1525Reputation: 1525Reputation: 1525Reputation: 1525Reputation: 1525Reputation: 1525Reputation: 1525Reputation: 1525
Moderator Response

Everyone should cool off a bit and show respect to each other. Language within your posts is violating LQ Rules and will not be tolerated. Show respect to each other and fellow LQ members.
Inciting others just for arguments sake will not be tolerated either.

This thread is now closed since it seems the activity is not going in the right direction. If anyone wishes to contact me then fell free to do so.
 
  


Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LXer: I hate Unity. I hate GNOME. I hate Windows 8. The ultimate desktop search continues. LXer Syndicated Linux News 1 11-09-2011 08:20 PM
LXer: Many Ubuntu Users Still Hate The Unity Desktop LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 08-03-2011 12:41 PM
ubuntu 11.4 -- hate the look zimbot Ubuntu 9 06-02-2011 04:21 AM
LXer: Ubuntu Unity Interface: You Might Not Hate It After All LXer Syndicated Linux News 1 02-04-2011 10:46 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:47 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration