LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 05-09-2008, 05:23 PM   #16
brisbin33

Distribution: fedora, ubuntu, slack, arch

Rep: Reputation: 15

thanks for the reply guys,

as armonox said, HFS+ support has been around for a bit but writing and journaling don't go together.

time machine says journaling needs to be enabled to work, but fedora says journaling needs to be disabled to work. but i have heard a few people mention using a samba share as a time machine backup; this is in direct contradiction to that first sentence. i was wondering if anyone had successfully done this, if so how?

Last edited by brisbin33; 05-09-2008 at 06:25 PM.

Old 05-14-2008, 10:34 AM   #17
thorn168

Distribution: Vector Linux 5.1 Std., Vector Linux 5.8 Std., Win2k, XP, OS X (10.4 & 10.5)

Rep: Reputation: 42
Just to follow up it appears that OS X 10.5 has some "issues". One the most vexing are inconsistent problems with connecting to,reading and writing to Samba shares. It seems that unpatched Leopard will work for some users but patched Leopard introduces a more consistent pattern of "breaks" in file sharing to and from Samba servers.

Here are the links for more details: http://www.macwindows.com/leopard.html

http://forums.macosxhints.com/showthread.php?p=423988

I have personally experienced problems with a Patched Leopard hanging or corrupting files moved from a Samba share to the desktop.

This is definitely an Apple OS issue so don't blame/bug the Samba developers about this.

Last edited by thorn168; 05-14-2008 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Added link

Old 07-19-2009, 08:04 PM   #18
ciclistadan
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
thanks for the tip

i was trying to do just the thing. Had a mac at work which we kept all our music on for streaming during the arduous hours of the workday and after the motherboard fried I wanted to swap it to another system...mounting -t hfsplus worked like a charm and saved me hours of head vs. wall time.

thanks

Old 01-12-2010, 05:56 PM   #19
centguy

Rep: Reputation: 48
It has been a year since the last post. Can I mount a partition with hfs+ and WRITE to it ? I am trying to make Mac and Linux to be able to read
and write a common portable drive (at home, I use linux while at work Mac, and I carry my drive around). I googled and found that it is rather disappointing that Mac does not
recognized ext3 (well, there is a buggy driver I don't even what to try).
Thanks for sharing !

Old 01-12-2010, 06:03 PM   #20
sefzik
LQ Newbie

Distribution: fc10

Centguy -

It has been a while since I dealt with my issue (I'm sure that things have changed significantly in the past two years), but when I was dealing with the problem I am pretty sure that I could only read the hfs+, no writing, when I was using Linux (I believe it was either FC8 or 10).

Why don't you do FAT, I've never had a problem reading or writing to them no matter what OS I was running? Everybody loves FAT partitions!
(nb - I make no claims of understanding the nuisances of the computer science world ... just what I need to do to get the job done. I'm sure somebody will tear me apart for suggesting FAT ; )

- Travis

Old 01-13-2010, 09:03 AM   #21
centguy

Rep: Reputation: 48
Sure, there is no shame about using VFAT. At the end, computer is just a tool. Getting things done is the most important issues.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:06 PM   #22
sefzik
LQ Newbie

Distribution: fc10

"there is no shame about using VFAT"

haha - very nice, very true! However, sometimes I AM ashamed to admit that I use Windows : )

Old 03-04-2010, 11:42 AM   #23
Mortis1369

Distribution: Fedora 12, Ubuntu 10.10, Linux Mint 10

Rep: Reputation: 2
another option

another option to this vexing problem is to use a windows emulator to install macdrive... this way you would gain WRX capabilities under any linux kernel... the only problem i am encountering is i cant disable the initial mac capabilities... (previously referenced) if i could disable the initial HFS+ support then i would have complete WRX access to my mac drives, or at least this is my theory... any ideas?

Old 05-12-2011, 02:11 PM   #24
vault0
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcase5 View Post
Then, I found a reference to an 'hfsplus' file system on a web site discussing the source code for the FC6 kernel. So I tried:

mount -t hfsplus <blah blah>

It worked! ...

Great job, thanks!

Tags
apple, fc6, hfs, hfs+, hfsplus, linux, macos, mount