LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Other *NIX Forums > Other *NIX
User Name
Password
Other *NIX This forum is for the discussion of any UNIX platform that does not have its own forum. Examples would include HP-UX, IRIX, Darwin, Tru64 and OS X.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 02-27-2013, 03:14 PM   #1
bamdad

Distribution: debian/ubuntu, slackware, bsd, (open)solaris

Rep: Reputation: 15
dtmail tooltalk error on unixware 7.1.4 mp4

hi all,

i have a weird one for you lot..

i don't have a lot of exeperience with unixware, so please bear with me.. also, i know this is a minor issue, i'd just like to see it resolved. please don't say stuff like "don't use dtmail then".

i set up my system inside the vm, installed the unix development kit, applied all the relevant security updates and patches, and all was well.

that is, until i added a network card to the system and set it up as a dhcp client. after that, whenever i try to open dtmail, it complains about tooltalk not running. here is the (sadly well known) error message.

firstly, i checked to see whether tooltalk is running, and in fact it was:
Code:
$ ps -ef | grep ttsession
  bamdad  1840     1   TS  80  0 21:14:17 ?        0:00 /usr/dt/bin/ttsession -s
then i thought there might be something not quite right in the /etc/hosts file, so i went and checked that, inserted my FQDN and the short version as an alias after 127.0.0.1, restarted, still no joy.

then i thought it might be because of the dhcp client acting up, so i set up a static ip address with manual configuration, updated the /etc/hosts and the /etc/resolv.conf, still the same error.

as a last resort, i removed the 'DNS client' service from the scoadmin client manager, restarted the system, tried to ping google.com (ping returned 'unknown host' as is should), but dtmail still complained about tooltalk.

after removing the network card altgether, dtmail started working again.

long story short, either this is a bug in ttsession or dtmail or something (which is hard to determine, since sco-related stuff is all but well documented), or i'm missing something. any ideas? :)

Last edited by bamdad; 03-06-2013 at 09:35 AM.