LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 02-05-2013, 06:00 AM   #1
Ineed2know

Rep: Reputation: 1
Question Lottery Software for Linux/Ubuntu and/or using Crossover Linux

I was wondering if anyone is using lottery software in Ubuntu or using Crossover Linux? If so, what software are you using? What is your review of the software you are using? And..NO SNIDE REMARKS PLEASE about lottery prediction, etc. I know about this stuff. I have Windows software only to maintain drawing databases of different lotteries and use the software as a tool to help in "just maybe" selecting possible numbers for the next drawing. Anyway, thanks.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:56 PM   #2
sag47

Distribution: Ubuntu, PopOS, Raspbian

Rep: Reputation: 477Reputation: 477Reputation: 477Reputation: 477Reputation: 477
When you say "lottery software" I assume you mean statistics based on pre-existing data, correct? If so I'd recommend taking a look at R Studio. R is a statistics programming language second to none. I've used it in bioinformatics on genome sequenced data. If that's not what you mean then you'll have to give more details than just "lottery software" because that term alone is useless otherwise.

If R Studio can't fit the bill then give us the names of the "lottery software" so that we can either take a look at it or know of an alternative.

Last edited by sag47; 02-05-2013 at 10:58 PM.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:34 PM   #3
Ineed2know

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 1
Well.............

Yes - it's for providing data for the next drawing of a particular lottery based on past draws; providing results of the "probability" that the chosen numbers may be drawn in the draw.

I looked at the site "R Studio" and I didn't find anything directly regarding lottery/lotto. What I suspect is that R Studio provides an open source product for statistical use not just for lottery (if this makes any sense). Maybe I will look at R Studio again later on.

Most lottery applications (software), if not all, are primarily based on past drawings; basically looking at the numbers drawn, how often, if the numbers or "hot" or "cold", as well as multiple other statistics, possible patterns, etc.

Lotto is "gambling"! I just hate trying to pick my own numbers. Also, it is normally unwise to pick numbers based on birthdays and such, as most people will pick numbers related to birthdays, anniversaries, and so on.

Well anyway, thanks for the response.

Old 06-06-2013, 12:41 AM   #4
shane25119

Distribution: Linux Mint XFCE

Rep: Reputation: 53
I am super late to this game, but I was bored and looking for posts related to R.

Lottery numbers from yesterday do not impact today's numbers- draws are all based on independent probability (ie: with each coin flip you have a 0.5 probability of getting a heads, even if you just had 20 tails in a row).

Sorry, as an applied statistician, I find any attempt to predict lottery numbers to be flawed from the start,

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:37 PM   #5
jefro

Rep: Reputation: 3622Reputation: 3622Reputation: 3622Reputation: 3622Reputation: 3622Reputation: 3622Reputation: 3622Reputation: 3622Reputation: 3622Reputation: 3622Reputation: 3622
Running lottery software in wine is a gamble. Without some previous post on the exact software you want to try then we can't guess.

Old 06-06-2013, 03:33 PM   #6
LQ Addict

Distribution: Debian Sid AMD64, Raspbian Wheezy, various VMs

Rep: Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373
Quote:
Originally Posted by shane25119 View Post
I am super late to this game, but I was bored and looking for posts related to R.

Lottery numbers from yesterday do not impact today's numbers- draws are all based on independent probability (ie: with each coin flip you have a 0.5 probability of getting a heads, even if you just had 20 tails in a row).

Sorry, as an applied statistician, I find any attempt to predict lottery numbers to be flawed from the start,
Since this post is absolutely correct (of course) might I suggest, Ineed2know, that you just look for random number generators and have a play? Since you seem to enjoy messing around to choose the numbers you could even write a bash script to do it for you then look at things like entropy and randomsound.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:22 AM   #7
shane25119

Distribution: Linux Mint XFCE

Rep: Reputation: 53
From a statistical standpoint, you'd probably have more success with 273's approach.

Humans fall into patterns, I might randomly choose 2 but then default to some familiar pattern for the following numbers based on numbers they know or even just the layout of the keypad.

By using a random number generator you ensure the probability of your number selection process aproximates the draw (totally random).

Even with this approach, don't expect to win. Assume you use 273's approach on a Pick 3 game with numbers ranging 0-9.

The probability of any combination being drawn are
0.1 * 0.1 * 0.1 = 0.001

Now imagine if this is a Powerball where there are 5 + numbers ranging from 0-50......

Plus, random number generators are a gateway into programing- and that's a wonderful thing.

Last edited by shane25119; 06-13-2013 at 12:26 AM.

1 members found this post helpful.