SlackwareThis Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
Seems the libiconv package is interfering with mono to cause this. I took a quick look at the slackbuild and suggest you add
the following line (in green) right after the configure block and before the make command (just before line 64):
sed -i -e 's|#define HAVE_LOCALCHARSET_H 1|/* #undef HAVE_LOCALCHARSET_H */|' eglib/config.h
make install DESTDIR=$PKG
*Note: Alternatively, you could removepkg the libiconv package; build & install the mono package; and then re-install libiconv.
That last suggestion did the trick. It built this time and on the 2.11.4 also.
I should mention maybe, that before your suggestion, during the 'config' it would always stop at an 'ltoptions.m4' part and wouild sit there for a minimum of 1 minute before finally carrying on and then eventually to the failure problem. This time though, it did not stop at that part and went right on through everything.
Thank you for the assistance!
If you're wondering why I want/need mono on my linux system, it's to try out this little app here
I'm not a programmer, so that and even the sed command thing left me scratching my head...it just worked is all I saw, heh. Maybe you bartgymnast or you mancha, should get in touch with the maintainer of the mono build and discuss it with him, as I wouldn't know what to tell him or why I was saying it. Whatcha think?
mono defaults to building static libs; --enable-static is unnecessary.
mono defaults to the system installed libgdiplus and detection works fine here. Is there a particular setup on your machine that requires specifying a path?
Note: you can test your installed mono by running /usr/bin/mono-test-install. If you get "Your have a working System.Drawing setup" then mono is using your system libgdiplus correctly (n.b. their typo, not mine).
mono defaults to using $(libdir)/pkgconfig for its pkgconfigdir and the SBo SlackBuild seemingly sets $(libdir) appropriately for Slack-64. If it indeed fails on your Slackware-64 system, I suggest you contact the SBo mono maintainer directly.
Originally Posted by bartgymnast
Also, it might be good to reconf before configure.
libtoolize --copy --force
than there should be no need for the sed command.
Re-libtoolizing and re-generating configuration files does not solve irgunII's problem. The sed command would still be needed.
The sed command solved your issue hackishly. Basically, mono believes (correctly) it can use locale_charset() on your system
because you have installed libiconv. Unfortunately, it was not linking properly.
Given how appreciative you've been on this thread and since I had already downloaded mono in order to assist you, I decided to
invest a little more time to develop a fix.
Rather than adding the sed line to mono.Slackbuild, you could do the following instead:
Hey great! Thanks for that, as I feel better knowing I've not taken/deleted something off my system just to install another something (mainly because I'd forget in 10 seconds that I'd deleted the first something and would scratch my head wondering why all of a sudden other apps and stuff weren't working correctly anymore, heh...ADD really sucks, especially at 51).
I also e-mailed the maintainer and asked him to take a look at this thread and see what he thinks he ought to do about it not building. Maybe he'll take up your 'patch' and simply use it. That'd be cool.