LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Fedora
User Name
Password
Fedora This forum is for the discussion of the Fedora Project.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 03-20-2014, 11:16 PM   #1
fhleung

Distribution: Lubuntu Live OS

Rep: Reputation: 30
CLOUD in RedHat/Fedora/Centos ?

I know NOTHING much about cloud and looking for help/opinion here.

I download the Apache CloudStack BINARY from the following link:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/clou...ar.gz/download

I able to run the install shell script then installED successfully inside
Centos 6.4 LIVE.

Question: howto start the cloud program/services installED to have a look? I don't even know the command to open it?~ sorry sounds stupid

Old 03-21-2014, 04:15 PM   #2
TB0ne
LQ Guru

Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS

Rep: Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhleung View Post
I know NOTHING much about cloud and looking for help/opinion here.

I download the Apache CloudStack BINARY from the following link:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/clou...ar.gz/download

I able to run the install shell script then installED successfully inside Centos 6.4 LIVE. Question: howto start the cloud program/services installED to have a look? I don't even know the command to open it?~ sorry sounds stupid
Not meaning to sound nasty, but if you don't know what the 'cloud' is, then why do you want it? What are you actually trying to accomplish? And if you want to know about the program you downloaded, did you try to read the documentation???
http://cloudstack.apache.org/#

Old 03-21-2014, 09:19 PM   #3
fhleung

Original Poster
I know you not mean and nasty, thank you for the respond which still not quite related to the question.

If anyone knows the answer of my question, will be great and appreciated.

Again, question = howto start the apache cloudstack program/services installED to have a look? I don't even know the command to open it?

Old 03-21-2014, 10:25 PM   #4
John VV
LQ Muse

Rep: Reputation: 2651Reputation: 2651Reputation: 2651Reputation: 2651Reputation: 2651Reputation: 2651Reputation: 2651Reputation: 2651Reputation: 2651Reputation: 2651Reputation: 2651
TB0ne has a point

a "cloud" is basically something dreamed up by AN AD AGENCY !!!!( think "Mad Men") as a "catch phrase "

from your post you DO NOT know what "it" is

are you running about $1,000,000 or MORE in blade servers
and have 120 or more PAYING clients for the servers
and do those customers ( computer and processing ) needs vary from day to day
so much so that you HAVE to hire MORE STAFF !!!

if so
then a "cloud" solution might be needed
it can REPLACE THAT STAFF you had to hire
because it will AUTOMATICALLY adjust the servers and the VM'ed servers to meet your PAYING clients NEEDS

by allowing you to ONLY charge then for JUST what they are using
and THAT saves them CASH

and saves YOU cash by only using the electricity that is NEEDED at that time -- saving YOU CASH !!!!!!

basically it is a REHASH of the 1970's
( disco - got to love it )
Mainframe and clients on a time share

the "cloud" part is a software improvement on the "time share"

an example :
lets say you are a small Accountant
come April you ARE BUSY
very busy around tax time

so busy that you NEED a ton of processing power, storage space, bandwidth, and servers to handle all the work

now it makes NO business sense to pay for all this ALL YEAR AROUND
you only need that much for 2 months of the year
so for the other 10 months you only pay for the 1/4 of the "cloud" space and use
but for those 2 months you par 4 times for 4 times the computers

Last edited by John VV; 03-21-2014 at 10:45 PM.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-22-2014, 04:34 PM   #5
TB0ne
LQ Guru

Rep: Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965
Quote:
I know you not mean and nasty, thank you for the respond which still not quite related to the question.

If anyone knows the answer of my question, will be great and appreciated. Again, question = howto start the apache cloudstack program/services installED to have a look? I don't even know the command to open it?
Again, you need to READ THE DOCUMENTATION. I even looked it up for you, and gave you a link. Did you not read/understand it? It tells you how to install it, start it, check it, and program for it. How much more do you need to be told?

And being given complete documentation IS 'related to the question'. And again, what is your goal? What are you trying to accomplish? If you don't know what this software is, what it does, or how to use it, why are you installing it????

Old 03-31-2014, 09:50 PM   #6
fhleung

Original Poster
Quote:
a "cloud" is basically something dreamed up by AN AD AGENCY !!!!( think "Mad Men") as a "catch phrase " from your post you DO NOT know what "it" is
All rite, time to responding... after researching...

The term "Cloud Computing" refers to the on-demand delivery of IT resources via the Internet with pay-as-you-go pricing.

Let's have example of well known hosting service providers first, like GoDaddy.com and Amazon.com. GoDaddy offering many choices usually paid by monthly or annually. And now the latest cloud service providers, they would charge flexibly, the service fee can count in per day even per hour!

So I feeling that's tougher to the IT professional.

reference: http://aws.amazon.com/what-is-cloud-computing/

Last edited by fhleung; 03-31-2014 at 09:59 PM.

Old 04-01-2014, 02:32 AM   #7
myatthu

Distribution: CentOS, Fedora, Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 18
Good article about Cloud computing

http://cacm.acm.org/magazines/2010/4...uting/fulltext

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:57 AM   #8
TB0ne
LQ Guru

Quote:
All rite, time to responding... after researching...
The term "Cloud Computing" refers to the on-demand delivery of IT resources via the Internet with pay-as-you-go pricing.

Let's have example of well known hosting service providers first, like GoDaddy.com and Amazon.com. GoDaddy offering many choices usually paid by monthly or annually. And now the latest cloud service providers, they would charge flexibly, the service fee can count in per day even per hour!
So I feeling that's tougher to the IT professional.[/QUOTE]
Oh? Why is that? And 'research' usually involves more than one source...what you posted is verbatim from the Amazon AWS page, which is only ONE type of 'cloud computing'.

Old 05-03-2015, 11:09 AM   #9
fhleung

Original Poster
to protect machine, let it rest for hours like following

RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{TIME_HOUR}%{TIME_MIN} >0200
RewriteCond %{TIME_HOUR}%{TIME_MIN} <0400
RewriteRule .* - [F]

I still believe cloud meaning apache web server.
you visit a machine.. inside got some content to read

Old 05-03-2015, 11:22 AM   #10
TB0ne
LQ Guru

Quote:
to protect machine, let it rest for hours like following
Code:
RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{TIME_HOUR}%{TIME_MIN} >0200
RewriteCond %{TIME_HOUR}%{TIME_MIN} <0400
RewriteRule .* - [F]
I still believe cloud meaning apache web server. you visit a machine.. inside got some content to read
No...that's a WEB SERVER. You visit the site, and have content. AGAIN, 'cloud' has little meaning in how you posted this (vague) question. A 'cloud' application could mean:
  • A storage device that is virtualized between MANY machines (or just one), and is accessible over a network.
  • A parallel-computing system that 'virtualizes' the entire system, meaning to add more CPU to an application (which is the 'cloud based' application), you stick another machine into the cloud.
  • A service that is virtualized over a network, like a print-on-demand system
  • ...ANYTHING else that can be used over a network. Things like Netflix? Hulu? Google Play? Amazon AWS? S3? ALL of those are 'cloud' systems.
You still haven't read much about what a 'cloud' is, and after a year, you should have at least some basic understanding, other than "it's a web page".

Old 05-03-2015, 01:49 PM   #11
T3RM1NVT0R

Distribution: Linux Mint, SLES, CentOS, Red Hat

Rep: Reputation: 477Reputation: 477Reputation: 477Reputation: 477Reputation: 477
If you really want to understand what cloud computing is then I would suggest reading this. It is not vendor specific and clearly defines what cloud is.

Cloud is really a fancy term which people like to flaunt / brag about. I have been there and I can say that there is not much difference and it is more of marketing.

In simple terms it is pay and use stuff. Will it make a difference if you rent a house and pay for it or you own a house (Please don't start that owning a house is an asset, it is just an example)? Ultimately you are using the house. Similarly in cloud you pay for what you use. You are using a VM hosted on their server you pay for it, you need DR (disaster recovery) you pay for it, you need additional space you pay for it, you need managed services you pay for it and the list goes on.

Quote:
I still believe cloud meaning apache web server.
you visit a machine.. inside got some content to read
No, cloud does not mean apache web server. Web service is just part of it. It is used as an interface to give user access to dashboard where he can check the current status or request for new stuff from cloud host.

It will be good if you have a look at the links provided by other members and the wiki link which I mentioned in this post. Once you are through the discussion will be more fruitful and interesting.

Last edited by T3RM1NVT0R; 05-03-2015 at 02:58 PM.

Old 05-03-2015, 03:42 PM   #12
John VV
LQ Muse

Rep: Reputation: 2651Reputation: 2651Reputation: 2651Reputation: 2651Reputation: 2651Reputation: 2651Reputation: 2651Reputation: 2651Reputation: 2651Reputation: 2651Reputation: 2651
all of the above

other then that
-- good by