LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 10-18-2013, 01:47 PM   #16
anon091

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 49

Thanks. I will need it haha

Old 10-19-2013, 12:53 PM   #17
Doug G

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Just a note, for any remote mysql management tool to work you'll have to make sure mysql itself allows access from your remote client computer, and that the firewall and any routhers on the mysql server allows mysql connections.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-21-2013, 03:24 AM   #18
TenTenths

Distribution: Centos 5 / 6 / 7

Rep: Reputation: 1553Reputation: 1553Reputation: 1553Reputation: 1553Reputation: 1553Reputation: 1553Reputation: 1553Reputation: 1553Reputation: 1553Reputation: 1553Reputation: 1553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug G View Post
Just a note, for any remote mysql management tool to work you'll have to make sure mysql itself allows access from your remote client computer, and that the firewall and any routhers on the mysql server allows mysql connections.
Good advice.

Personally I use Navicat on my windows desktop to administer a number of MySQL servers, some on the local subnet and most in data centers.

Navicat allows a connection to be defined to create an SSH tunnel from the Windows desktop to the remote server, thus using the "localhost" configuration for access, also means not having to open external access unless it's absolutely necessary.

Old 10-21-2013, 04:57 AM   #19
zhjim

Distribution: Debian Squeeze x86_64

Rep: Reputation: 233Reputation: 233Reputation: 233
From security perspective I'd always go with a ssh tunnel like TenTenth brought up. Workbench also has this natively. This approach also makes it easier on the firewall side as well as mysql server. No real need for any extra holes. SSH is normaly allowed by iptables. Local connection to mysqld as well. So a tunnels is the easiest and much secure approach I'd say.

phpMyAdmin can be run from anywhere (where a httpd server is installed) it just needs a connection to the mysql server. Not sure if it supports ssh tunnel meanwhile but one can always set one up manually or per script. The down side is if you don't own it you can not connect to every mysql server. You'd have to configure it. Also there might be an option where you just put in credentials and server and hit and go but I bet that those infos are not preserved for later use.
If you use it definitely use some auth mechanism on the webserver to block unwanted pokers.

Old 10-21-2013, 02:25 PM   #20
anon091

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 49
Thanks guys. I'll take a look at navicat too.