LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 08-29-2013, 12:58 AM   #1
ramesh pagadala
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Find the directories which is older than x days delete and zip those directories

Hi All

1) i want delete the direcotries which is older than 3 months
ex. /opt/pat/phd in this phd directory daily created some directories and for each directory is having different files ex txt,log ect so i want remove all files also

2) i want compress the directories which is older than 3 months

ex./opt/pat/phd in this phd directory daily created some directories i think based on timestamp not exactly i want compress those directories which is older than 7 days.
please let me know if any one knows.

Thsnks in advance,
Ramesh

Old 08-29-2013, 01:33 AM   #2
Firerat

Distribution: Debian sid

Rep: Reputation: 783Reputation: 783Reputation: 783Reputation: 783Reputation: 783Reputation: 783Reputation: 783
Code:
man find
Code:
man tar

http://www.tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/

is a start

Old 08-29-2013, 08:17 AM   #3
TB0ne
LQ Guru

Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS

Rep: Reputation: 7946Reputation: 7946Reputation: 7946Reputation: 7946Reputation: 7946Reputation: 7946Reputation: 7946Reputation: 7946Reputation: 7946Reputation: 7946Reputation: 7946
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramesh pagadala View Post
Hi All
1) i want delete the direcotries which is older than 3 months ex. /opt/pat/phd in this phd directory daily created some directories and for each directory is having different files ex txt,log ect so i want remove all files also

2) i want compress the directories which is older than 3 months ex./opt/pat/phd in this phd directory daily created some directories i think based on timestamp not exactly i want compress those directories which is older than 7 days.

please let me know if any one knows.
We'll be glad to help you...so post what you've done/tried so far, and tell us where you're stuck. Reading the man pages as Firerat suggested will help you, and I'll add to read the man page on the 'rm' command.

Pay particular attention to the "-*time" flags on the find command (mtime, ctime, atime), and the "-rf" flag on the rm command.