LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Enterprise Linux Forums > Linux - Enterprise
User Name
Password
Linux - Enterprise This forum is for all items relating to using Linux in the Enterprise.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 09-28-2013, 08:15 AM   #1
zombieno7

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Is Debian the future of EL?

As someone fairly new to Linux in the business world, I've been doing some research on where the trends are going and what the future may hold, primarily for certification and general preparedness purposes, and found data such as this. Is this, as well as general usage trends like those shown on distrowatch.com, indicative of the direction of Linux in the enterprise? Basically, is Debian beginning to overtake Red Hat?

Old 09-28-2013, 08:22 AM   #2
yooy

Rep: Reputation: 174Reputation: 174
that is probably because of servers running debian, i still think that ubuntu in best choice for desktops.

Old 09-28-2013, 11:36 AM   #3
unSpawn

Rep: Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600Reputation: 3600
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieno7 View Post
Is this, as well as general usage trends like those shown on distrowatch.com, indicative of the direction of Linux in the enterprise?
The methodology behind the statistics you pointed to aren't that clear to me (try for example to get Google to spill nfo based on their criteria) and Distrowatch doesn't deal solely with the server side of things so it gives a skewed view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieno7 View Post
Basically, is Debian beginning to overtake Red Hat?
With all respect for the distribution itself I don't see any unique selling points focusing on professional businesses that could lure a decision maker into even entertaining the idea.

Old 09-28-2013, 08:21 PM   #4
btmiller

Distribution: Arch, Scientific Linux, Debian, Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 378Reputation: 378Reputation: 378Reputation: 378
I use Debian in a large organization in a server role, but I have to agree with the other posts. Most large organizations are risk-averse and will want the ability to have some sort of support contracts with the distributor of their software, which meand Red Hat or SuSE. In addition, much of the enterprise-oriented software (such as IBM GPFS) only officially supports Red Hat and SuSE. That being said, I think Debian is a good choice for organizations that don't require proprietary thirs-party support that only runs on these systems and are willing to self-support the OS (or purchase 4rd paty support).