LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 05-23-2013, 11:43 AM   #1
pointerx
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Unhappy Disable Knoppix Auto login

Hi All....!
I am new to using Linux. I have installed KNOPPIX 7.0.5 on my laptop.
I am using LXDE environment. I changed user to administrator from preferences-> user settings.

my problem is

whenever I boot my laptop it directly shows me the desktop. and don't ask me for user login. please tell me how to disable auto login.

thank you.

Old 05-23-2013, 03:38 PM   #2
ComputeWorldwide
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 1
Enable/disable LXDE auto login

Thanks for posting, Pointer X! I have found two ideas on how to fix this: In Debian and similar systems,
lxde menu>Preferences>Login Window>Security check Enable Automatic Login
...and in Ubuntu and similar systems...
Edit the file /etc/lxdm/default.conf and comment the line:
autologin=username
Not sure on Knoppix but maybe something similar to one of these two ideas!

Old 05-23-2013, 10:35 PM   #3
pointerx
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Thanks ComputerWorldWide !
in KNOPPIX neither there is any Login Window menu under Preferences nor lxdm folder in /etc

Old 05-24-2013, 08:11 AM   #4
bloodstreetboy

Rep: Reputation: 37
It can be done - to convert Knoppix to an ordinary multi-user system.

Knoppix isn't Debian. It is based on Debian. And it is a strange mix of different Debian versions that generally cause problems for people who try to install it to a hard disk.
You can not install Debian from the Knoppix disc. However, you can go to the debian website at debian.org and download an install disc iso for any of the Debian versions. If you have high speed internet then I suggest downloading the net install disc iso. However, if you are on dial-up or don't have Internet access where you intend to install, I suggest disc 1 of the install discs (all of the discs are not needed and generally not a good idea to download unless you are planing on going where you will have no Internet access, and maybe not even then). Also, you will find that there are different versions of Debian available, I suggest staying away from "stable" for anything except a mission critical server system, it is too old. I suggest "unstable", although you might even want "testing". Don't be fooled by the names, "unstable" is far more stable than anything that Microsoft ever released. You can also pick from builds for various hardware. Knoppix uses the i386 code. if you have a typical PC you may want to use that or go with a 64 bit version for Intel or AMD cpus.

Once you have done a desktop install of Debian you will have multiple user support. You can then choose to install any or all of the application that are included in Knoppix, or pick from a huge selection of other programs in the Debian repository.