LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > DamnSmallLinux
User Name
Password
DamnSmallLinux This forum is for the discussion of DamnSmallLinux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 03-03-2017, 03:54 AM   #1
efialt
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
DSL HDD ext2 uncompressed

Just to avoid silly questions: Toshiba Libretto is an ancient subnotebook with extremely comfortable (for my hands) keyboard. After some years of looking for similar keyboard I purchased used Toshiba Libretto 100CT and use it as a typewriter.

Also I attached CF card instead of the original HDD.

It runs under Windows 98 and it's ok for me sine I use only Wordpad, but I want more and better.

The only linux distro that can be installed is DSL (due to 16 Mb memory).

The device has IDE, PCMCIA and Infrared interfaces. IDE is the ONLY one can be booted from.

I don't need to save HDD space, but I would like to save the speed. So I want to install DSL using not cloop KNOPPIX filesystem, but uncompressed one.
So I create DSL bootable CF with 2 (or more) partitions, boot with the one with DSL, run 'dsl-hdinstall' script and have uncompressed DSL filesystem on ext2 or ext3 partition.

Anyway due to some bugs neither GRUB nor Lilo are installed, so I continue to boot with the initial DSL partition.

I can set up Extlinux bootloader, but I have problems with writing the proper config. Now it looks like

Code:
default DSL
timeout 15

label DSL
menulabel DSL
kernel /boot/linux24
append root=UUID=74237894-6f26-4544-b443-bbb790fece02 rw quiet vga=808 noacpi noapm nodma noscsi frugal 
#initrd /boot/minirt24.gz
#BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix
In this situation it gives me

Code:
kernel panic
VFS: error mounting root filesystem
If I uncomment initrd stringit starts to search for KNOPPIX cloop file, which I want to avoid.

What do I do wrong?

Old 03-03-2017, 10:57 PM   #2
jailbait
LQ Guru

Distribution: Debian 12

Rep: Reputation: 548Reputation: 548Reputation: 548Reputation: 548Reputation: 548Reputation: 548
Welcome to linuxquestions.

You need an initrd which points to the DSL kernel on the hdd. Did dsl-hdinstall create another initrd in /boot on the hdd (i.e. an initrd which points to the kernel in the uncompressed ext2 or ext3 file system instead of the Knoppix iso image)?

---------------------------------
Steve Stites