LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Incognito
User Name
Password
Incognito This forum is for the discussion of Incognito Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 01-12-2017, 06:23 PM   #1
iterativeDesfiguration
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Question SocialEngineeringTools in Tails, possible?

Hi community,

Not sure if this is the precise place to ask about Tails but I have read some threads, let me know if I need to move this post to a proper place.

I am setting up SET with Tails OS as described in their web site. Tried installing and executing SET from two different machines with the same results. One is running Tails using a virtual machine, the other boots up from USB.

On my first attempt, SET reports errors of missing dependencies, specifically pythonopenssl, which I then installed.

Code:
apt-get install libssl-dev
Apparently all dependencies are now installed, at least no further "missing dependencies" are reported when starting up the program.

With openSSL installed, a new error is reported.

Code:
File "python2.7/socket.py", line 553, in create_connection
    for res in getaddrinfo(host, port, 0, SOCK_STREAM):
./setoolkit IOError: [Errno socket error] [Errno -2] Name or service not known
I will provide you with the full callstack if you need it. The first line of this callstack is

Code:
python2.7/multiprocessing/process.py, line 258, in _bootstrap
self.run()...
Even tried to update the SETookit, with its own options, the application throws the same error.

Is this error related to my connection and how is set up?

Is there a way to diagnose the toolkit before running it? I meant like validating dependencies.

Is it that using SET in Tails is very hard to setup? A better recommendation?

Thanks in advance

Old 01-14-2017, 10:48 AM   #2
business_kid
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware, Slarm64 & Android

Rep: Reputation: 2321Reputation: 2321Reputation: 2321Reputation: 2321Reputation: 2321Reputation: 2321Reputation: 2321Reputation: 2321Reputation: 2321Reputation: 2321Reputation: 2321
Basically, once you install _anything_ in Tails, you're on your own. Tails is Amnesiac & Incognito. So, for instance, you can't post to this forum because it doesn't accept cookies and you get thrown to a login page when you try and post, despite perhaps already having logged in.

Are you using the Tor Browser? If you are, things probably won't work; if not, you might as well be in a normal system.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-15-2017, 09:31 PM   #3
iterativeDesfiguration
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Understand, yeah I tried the SET under Debian and things work smooth.
One The biggest problem to get it working, is that Tor only supports TCP packages, trying to send other kind of packages like ICMP will produce the errors I described.
Even if there would be a workaround probably will compromise Tails security.
For SET I recommend you to start by using another linux distro.
Thanks

Old 01-15-2017, 09:43 PM   #4
frankbell
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware, Ubuntu MATE, Mageia, and whatever VMs I happen to be playing with

Rep: Reputation: 6137Reputation: 6137Reputation: 6137Reputation: 6137Reputation: 6137Reputation: 6137Reputation: 6137Reputation: 6137Reputation: 6137Reputation: 6137Reputation: 6137
You will find social engineering tools wherever you find persons.

Darkness and deviousness are part of the human condition, not an aspect of technology.

You may find this podcast from the Guardian enlightening: https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...weekly-podcast