LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Mageia
User Name
Password
Mageia This forum is for the discussion of Mageia Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 05-31-2014, 07:31 PM   #1
herakles_14

Distribution: Manjaro, LinuxMint 17.2 & Mageia 5

Rep: Reputation: 0
Mageia 4 turned into "ISOLINUX 6.02 MAgeia ETCD"

Okay, its a repeat of a problem I have had trying to get Mageia 4, successfully installed. No such luck. I was very careful I made sure the Md5sum matched, I burned it at the slow speed using 'brasero'

I decided to check it out using the oracle virtual machine but it would not work, which should have been a big red flag for when I tried to install it, for a look see. All I got was a black screen and in the upper left corner:

"ISOLINUX 6.02 Mageia ETCD"

Another DVD ruined.

herakles_14

Old 05-31-2014, 08:15 PM   #2
frankbell
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware, Ubuntu MATE, Mageia, and whatever VMs I happen to be playing with

Rep: Reputation: 6137Reputation: 6137Reputation: 6137Reputation: 6137Reputation: 6137Reputation: 6137Reputation: 6137Reputation: 6137Reputation: 6137Reputation: 6137Reputation: 6137
Mageia 4 installed very smoothly from disk for me.

I found this on the Mageia wiki:

Quote:
bug 12549 Some users report unability to boot from DVD, whereas it works from USB stick. Messages seen resemble this: "ISOLINUX 6.02 Mageia ETCDisolinuxisk error 01, AX=42D1, drive FE". It seems to be related to AHCI and disabling it could help.
Maybe it will help.

Old 06-01-2014, 03:02 AM   #3
jkerr82508

Rep: Reputation: 69
As the error message indicates, the problem is with the version of isolinux used. Only certain hardware is affected. New iso's are in preparation which use a fixed version of isolinux, but it is necessary to find volunteers with the affected hardware to test the new iso's. None of the Mageia QA team had access to such equipment when the original iso's were tested.

Jim

Old 06-02-2014, 01:16 AM   #4
herakles_14

Original Poster
You speak, jerr82805, about certain hardware can you be more specific? I have had this happen to an ISO that was not Mageia, so what is happening is not to one distro. Who does have access to the equipment?

frankbell, what was the software you used to burn the onto the DVD disc? I happened to have used brasero as the software to burn the ISO image onto the DVD. I have also tried K3B to burn the ISO image and it did not work but that is nit the same problem as this one.

The last line of the quote you posted mentioned something about disabling the AHCI and how that might help? what is the AHCI and where would I find i?

Basically what you both are telling me is they have no idea why only theories. It is not wide spread through the Mageia community just enough for a bug report.

I spoke about this happening to me before but it was from a disc I got from OSDisc.com and not one I burned using an ISO.

Okay, I am not going to burn any Mageia whether it is 4 or 5 or six until this has been resolved completely with no room for equivocation on anyones part.

herakles_14

Last edited by herakles_14; 06-02-2014 at 01:19 AM.

Old 06-02-2014, 05:55 AM   #5
jkerr82508

Quote:
Originally Posted by herakles_14 View Post
Okay, I am not going to burn any Mageia whether it is 4 or 5 or six until this has been resolved completely with no room for equivocation on anyones part.
That will only happen if you volunteer to test the iso's or provide someone with identical hardware to yours to do the testing.

https://wiki.mageia.org/en/QA_Team

It is impossible to guarantee that any software will function on every permutation and combination of hardware.

Jim

Last edited by jkerr82508; 06-02-2014 at 05:58 AM. Reason: Added link

Old 06-02-2014, 08:28 AM   #6
{BBI}Nexus{BBI}

Distribution: Mageia 6, KDE Neon

Rep: Reputation: 212Reputation: 212Reputation: 212
Quote:
You speak, jerr82805, about certain hardware can you be more specific? I have had this happen to an ISO that was not Mageia, so what is happening is not to one distro. Who does have access to the equipment?
Can you be more specific and at least post details of your hardware!

Quote:
I have also tried K3B to burn the ISO image and it did not work but that is nit the same problem as this one.
If it's not the same problem, why post this?

Quote:
The last line of the quote you posted mentioned something about disabling the AHCI and how that might help? what is the AHCI and where would I find i?
Answer: What is Google and how may it help.

Quote:
Basically what you both are telling me is they have no idea why only theories. It is not wide spread through the Mageia community just enough for a bug report.
No, what you are being told is the devs don't have access to all hardware and therefore cannot test for all scenarios.

Quote:
Yeah that's the way to give back to the community. Don't get involved, just sit back and wait.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:45 AM   #7
herakles_14

Original Poster
What is the point of downloading Mageia if there is the very clear uncertainty that I will get stuck with another ETCD and a useless DVD.

Old 06-03-2014, 11:17 AM   #8
{BBI}Nexus{BBI}

Distribution: Mageia 6, KDE Neon

Rep: Reputation: 212Reputation: 212Reputation: 212
Quote:
What is the point of downloading Mageia if there is the very clear uncertainty that I will get stuck with another ETCD and a useless DVD.
There's no certainty with ANY distro. How could you possibly know if you will or will not get a problem if you don't try the distro?

It would be more productive if you worked with the devs to resolve the problem. If losing DVDs is a problem, consider using a USB Flashdrive to install from.

Old 06-04-2014, 05:58 AM   #9
jkerr82508

Quote:
I will get stuck with ... a useless DVD.
Use a re-writeable DVD

Jim

Old 06-07-2014, 05:19 PM   #10
widget

Distribution: Debian Testing, Stable, Sid and Manjaro, Mageia 3, LMDE

Rep: Reputation: 497Reputation: 497Reputation: 497Reputation: 497Reputation: 497
Quote:
Because you are having a problem with it.

Then you can report the bug.

The devs develop the new version of every OS; Mac, Windows, Linux distros, BSD flavors, ets, in a vertual environment. That means that what they are working on uses a proven system for all hardware interaction. Thus all they deal with is the base code for the new OS.

Using it on real hardware brings out these little problems. This is why user testing is done on all sensible development projects including Mageia. The more diverse the hardware is that it is tested on the more reliable the final release becomes. This is as true of the ISO as it is for any other part of the distro.

Aparently Magea does not have testers testing the ISOs on hardware like yours. Therefore it is important for you to report the bug.

No it doesn't affect many Mageia users. One reason for this could well be that people with your hardware can't get it to install.

Until this is reported and the devs get what ever further information that they need on your system the problem will not be resulved.

You would be shocked at the number of bugs that exist that only affect a tiny percentage of users. Nearly all bugs are hardware related. Most hardware related bugs are fixed quite easily or at least fast.

In this case it appears to have something to do with AHCI.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advance...ller_Interface

Many problems come out in ISOs. Usually you can disable a function by editing the menu entry in the instruction string (usually starts with "linux"). I don't know what that is for AHCI but as it is a module you could try "nonmodset".

Also for some extremely strange reason that the ISO works when on a stick. Get a stick and give it a whack with the dd command from the OS you download it with.
Code:
dd if=<file> of=<device> bs=4M; sync
is what Debian recommends and I have used on all ISOs I have put on a stick including Mageia.

On the other hand I never had trouble with simply;
Code:
dd if=<file> of=<device>
either.

One advantage is the stick is reusable. As pointed out before DVD RW is your friend if you prefer DVDs.

Old 06-08-2014, 12:03 AM   #11
herakles_14

Original Poster
Hey,

Reporting it as a bug would be a good idea however I have no idea as to how one would proceed. I am on a Dell Dimesion 9100 running an Intel Pentium 4, other than that I don't know more.

Using a usb stick is a good idea and I tried it but the software, Unetbootin, was not cooperative, and I go nowhere.

I am back with PCLinuxOS and I've noticed it has a "PCLinuxOS Live UsB creator". If I remember the usb stick/flashdrive had to be mounted and that was done in gparted?

The information on the ISO is compacted and when one downloads it onto a DVD disc or a USB stick all he information is let loose onto or into the computer.

How does a person check the Md5sum on a USB stick? Or is such a move unnecessary?

The end of all this wold be to dual boot my PCLOS along side of Mageia.

herakles_14

Old 06-08-2014, 08:20 AM   #12
yancek
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware, Ubuntu, PCLinux,

Rep: Reputation: 2488Reputation: 2488Reputation: 2488Reputation: 2488Reputation: 2488Reputation: 2488Reputation: 2488Reputation: 2488Reputation: 2488Reputation: 2488Reputation: 2488
Quote:
Using a usb stick is a good idea and I tried it but the software, Unetbootin, was not cooperative, and I go nowhere.
You won't get any help with that information. Unetbootin works great on many systems. I don't see Mageia on the list of supported distributions but I've used it for systems not on the list. Specifics on what you did and what happened might help.

Quote:
I am back with PCLinuxOS and I've noticed it has a "PCLinuxOS Live UsB creator". If I remember the usb stick/flashdrive had to be mounted and that was done in gparted?
If you are using PCLinuxOS, you can do this by clicking on 'Configure Your Computer' and going to Local Disks and selecting Manage Disk Partitions. Click Toggle to Expert Mode in the lower right and you can mount/unmount, etc there and select different drives/partitions.

Quote:
The information on the ISO is compacted and when one downloads it onto a DVD disc or a USB stick all he information is let loose onto or into the computer.
Not sure what you are getting at with that comment. When you download an iso file, it should show the download size. When it is downloaded to your computer, the size should be identical. Once you have downloaded, you can burn it to CD/DVD, copy it to a flash, install it to a flash drive as a Live CD or if the flash is big enough, install it as you would to a normal hard drive.

You indicated in your initial post that you did an md5checksum on the downloaded iso, that should be all you need.

Old 06-14-2014, 05:23 PM   #13
herakles_14

Original Poster
Just wondering out loud you could say.

I might give it another with a flashdrive and see what does or does not happen?

Old 06-14-2014, 11:49 PM   #14
widget

Distribution: Debian Testing, Stable, Sid and Manjaro, Mageia 3, LMDE

Rep: Reputation: 497Reputation: 497Reputation: 497Reputation: 497Reputation: 497
Quote:
Just wondering out loud you could say.

I might give it another with a flashdrive and see what does or does not happen?
This makes sense to me. That is what the Mageia people say works.