LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Linux From Scratch
User Name
Password
Linux From Scratch This Forum is for the discussion of LFS.
LFS is a project that provides you with the steps necessary to build your own custom Linux system.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 02-05-2013, 02:57 AM   #1
McZ

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Plymouth boot splash isn't working

I just tried to install Plymouth splash screen, to see how it works. But it doesn't.

I do have KMS up an running, I think. Running a Core i5 with IGPU HD4000 and the auto modeswitch setting in the kernel do change my console resolution, altough I dont know what resolution I get.

Booting with nomodeset does nothing, except destroying my ability to quit Xorg because my console isn't resetting when I quit X.

Anyway, testing with
Code:
plymouthd; plymouth --show-splash; for ((i=0; i<5; i++)); do plymouth --update=test$i; sleep 1; done; plymouth quit
will switch to VT 1 for 5 seconds then back, but it only shows the text that already is on VT 1 no graphical splash. And yes I have tested setting different themes.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:22 PM   #2
John VV
LQ Muse

Rep: Reputation: 2651Reputation: 2651Reputation: 2651Reputation: 2651Reputation: 2651Reputation: 2651Reputation: 2651Reputation: 2651Reputation: 2651Reputation: 2651Reputation: 2651
Quote:
I just tried to install Plymouth splash screen, to see how it works. But it doesn't.
What operating system is this ?

some distros use Plymouth by default .

Plymouth needs the nouveau open driver
the nvidia proprietary driver will not work

same goes for the AMD driver the open driver is needed