LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 11-11-2009, 08:28 AM   #16
pixellany
LQ Veteran

Distribution: Mint

Rep: Reputation: 743Reputation: 743Reputation: 743Reputation: 743Reputation: 743Reputation: 743Reputation: 743

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerati88 View Post
How can I make an entry for Windows Server in Grub, I have both XP and Server on the same hard drive but I'd like to know if there's a way of having the option to directly boot Server.

My XP entry is

root (hd1,0)
save default
make active
map (hd0)(hd1)
map (hd1)(hd0)
chainloader +1
Depending on what partition Server is on, the entry will be similar. From the existing entry, it appears that XP is on the #2 drive. Is that also where Server is?

For completeness, post the output of "fdisk -l" (run as root)

Old 05-10-2010, 12:16 AM   #17
mofugga
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Ubuntu Studio, Startcom, and for normal use PClinux

Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mousator View Post
yes, that happen the same to me. Probably my reply doesn't help you now, but maybe it helps to somebody else. There's my solution:

rootnoverify (hd0,6)
chainloader (hd0,1)+1
boot
This works for me on the command line grub for mint linux (lint minux)
except i only needed to use
chainloader (hd0,1)+1
boot

but then I installed the graphical grub.
brought me back to windows 3.1 with that crap. lol

Old 05-10-2010, 01:04 AM   #18
John VV
LQ Muse

Rep: Reputation: 2651Reputation: 2651Reputation: 2651Reputation: 2651Reputation: 2651Reputation: 2651Reputation: 2651Reputation: 2651Reputation: 2651Reputation: 2651Reputation: 2651
mofugga !!
Please do not drag up 5 year old threads
the first post was on 01-08-05, 02:53 PM

Old 05-10-2010, 02:33 AM   #19
Steveburner
LQ Newbie

I think in floppy there isn't a command to boot windows from grub.

Old 05-11-2010, 11:38 AM   #20
mofugga
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Ubuntu Studio, Startcom, and for normal use PClinux

Angry well then

Quote:
Originally Posted by John VV View Post
mofugga !!
Please do not drag up 5 year old threads
the first post was on 01-08-05, 02:53 PM
Wow thanks for showing me how to look at a date. First things first. this is a forum for linux questions is it not. Don't all you cry baby's, like you, cry, when something is double posted; so which one is it crybaby. Second I found this post from google search; Meaning anyone with the same question is going to come here first, If my post had helped someone then who cares. and Third a lot of distos and a lot of newer distros are starting to use the command grub for added security reasons such as fingerprint reader logins in opensuse, and used in general on mint linux. And last if you didnt need any info out of this post then why the PHUK did you ever click on it!!!
So you know what, I will post whatever I want, Wherever I want, Whenever I want. I can see countless posts with the same thing going on in this very website. So what you gonna do, Have me banned!? lol. I can go to hotmail and make emails all day long. Ban me by my ip and i can change it all day long. So, good luck to you, and leave me alone, or I'll call John Walsh on America's most wanted and tell him your a kidnapper.

0 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:12 PM   #21
John VV
LQ Muse

Rep: Reputation: 2651Reputation: 2651Reputation: 2651Reputation: 2651Reputation: 2651Reputation: 2651Reputation: 2651Reputation: 2651Reputation: 2651Reputation: 2651Reputation: 2651
what ???

Old 02-17-2013, 06:54 AM   #22
reallynewtolinux
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by syg00 View Post
From the grub prompt you can enter the commands from your grub.conf. Amend as appropriate, and hit enter after each line. Don't know that you can run fixmbr from Windows, but this should get you there.

root(hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader + 1
boot
These commands worked for me perfectly, although had to move some spaces here and there.
I just have 1 question now. I have been able to boot into windows but everytime my laptop turns ON I have to type in these set of commands. How do I make it boot properly ? Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 06-15-2013, 04:31 PM   #23
llamasquared
LQ Newbie

Error

Whenever I try to hit enter, it says, "Wrong filename". It doesnt go to the next line.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:32 AM   #24
reallynewtolinux
LQ Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamasquared View Post
Whenever I try to hit enter, it says, "Wrong filename". It doesnt go to the next line.
As I said, you might have to try to play around with spaces here and there for the commands to work.
Unfortunately I can't remember what exactly worked, but with a few trials it worked.

Old 08-15-2014, 03:37 PM   #25
angelmtz
LQ Newbie

I was able to enter:

root (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader --force +1
boot

And then I get the message "read error"

Old 08-15-2014, 06:02 PM   #26
yancek
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware, Ubuntu, PCLinux,

Rep: Reputation: 2488Reputation: 2488Reputation: 2488Reputation: 2488Reputation: 2488Reputation: 2488Reputation: 2488Reputation: 2488Reputation: 2488Reputation: 2488Reputation: 2488
angelmtz

You need to start a new thread and give information on which Linux distribution you are using and what you are trying to do, boot some windows system?

Old 08-22-2014, 07:21 AM   #27
moshebagelfresser

Rep: Reputation: 21
Windows actually advises against having two systems on one partition, as one confounds the other.

In the Windows XP repair console you should be able to re write the MBR and Fixboot.

Having chosen which Windows with the 1 or 2 seeing you have more than one.

At the Dos Prompt you will need to type:

fixmbr c: It will ask for a yes or no.

On selecting Y, it will write a new MBR and politely wipe out Grub. So be warned.

Then type fixboot c: it will ask for confirmation with y/n selecting y will write the new boot sector.

Note you could of course by pass the Windows Repair Console and press R, this will cause Windows Setup to delete a bunch of files and replace them. This will take some time. Lots of patience needed.

Grub will need to be reinstalled, or Easy Boot Programme. There's a freeware programme that will make the equivalent of Grub. Instead of Grub appearing on the screen first the Easy Boot Programme screen. Here you can choose a Linux distribution.

Either way your in for a long haul job.

Old 10-12-2017, 11:10 AM   #28
Gamesmedic
LQ Newbie

Angry Same issue, different OS

Recently my windowz crashed after an update from microbrain and I tried everything to get it to recover. I know full well I created multiple restore points but no recovery disks would find them.

This leads me to believe I may have been hacked, but you never know with how badly microbrain makes its OS.

I was left with little choice but install another windows 7 (ultimate) from a USB stick, on top of it with the old windows being renamed to windows.0

This new version installed just fine, and after a couple of reboots seemed to start working and asked for the usual, english, GMT. etc. I walked away and came back and it had rebooted and I see a file not found error. I pressed enter and now I get a grub command line menu.

I have tried several of the suggestions, and I believe chainloader is working, but the next line dow is

chainloader /bootmgr

I tried just typing chainloader by itself and get a different error so it appears chainloader is working and looking for something and not finding it.

I have tried the repair disk option, am not trying to find fdisk from the command line and failing. Help?

Last edited by Gamesmedic; 10-12-2017 at 11:13 AM.

Old 10-15-2017, 04:43 AM   #29
moshebagelfresser

Rep: Reputation: 21
Try to download Bootrepairer.iso I've used it more than once to repair the Grub successfully.

Tags
boot, command, fc5, grub, xp