LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 10-13-2013, 06:53 PM   #1
psavello
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
LinuxMint15 does not install on hard drive

LinuxMint15 (for Windows7/64-bit) downloaded to DVD and Linux runs perfectly when booted from the DVD. Installation process (to hard drive) goes through all steps as indicated in User's Manual -- geographic area, computer name/password, etc. At end of "installation," prompt is given to remove DVD and click "Enter." Computer shuts down to reboot but LinuxMint15 does not appear either in start-up menu nor does a folder appear in the Windows folder on C: drive. I previously had a copy of Linux Ubuntu but erased it from my hard drive. The Ubuntu prompt still appears, however, upon start up (to select between Windows 7 or Ubuntu.) Have tried to install LinuxMint15 three (3) times but no installation occurs. Should I try the 32-bit version? Or is there something special about installing on my 64-bit system?

Old 10-13-2013, 07:50 PM   #2
andrewthomas

Distribution: Arch, Gentoo, Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 312Reputation: 312Reputation: 312Reputation: 312
maybe a bad grub install? I would re-install grub from the LiveCD

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ighlight=grub2

Old 10-13-2013, 08:30 PM   #3
frankbell
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware, Ubuntu MATE, Mageia, and whatever VMs I happen to be playing with

Rep: Reputation: 6140Reputation: 6140Reputation: 6140Reputation: 6140Reputation: 6140Reputation: 6140Reputation: 6140Reputation: 6140Reputation: 6140Reputation: 6140Reputation: 6140
Just to make sure I understand, Mint looks like it's installing properly, but doesn't seem to be there on reboot? I must say I have never encountered this and I did once successfully install Mint 64-bit to dual-boot with Win7--it went very smoothly.

To get started, two questions which are both sort of stabs in the dark:

Where did you install Grub?

From the Live CD, could you open a terminal and, as root, run the command

Code:
fdisk -l
to generate a listing of the partitions? Post the output here, being sure to surround it with "code" tags, which become available when you click the "Go Advanced" button to the right of the "Post Quick Reply" button at the bottom of the reply window.