LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Hardware
User Name
Password
Linux - Hardware This forum is for Hardware issues.
Having trouble installing a piece of hardware? Want to know if that peripheral is compatible with Linux?

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 10-13-2013, 04:04 PM   #1
xchron
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Debian

Rep: Reputation: 0
USB to IDE/SATA Adapters, any recommendations (something that works)?

Howdy,

I've got a Kingwin USI2535 which works ok in WinXP, but nada in any flavor of linux that I have...maybe its something I'm doing wrong? But I don't think so. So, I've been out scouring the InterNet corporate wasteland (its so broken nowa days) and there's lots of adapters for windows but I've only found one (ByTecc) which claims to work with linux but it has really bad reviews regarding quality.

So I'm asking around the hardware groups, what USB_2_IDE_SATA_adapter works?

My systems have Knoppix, Debian, RedHat, and UuuuuBuntooo too too...

Any suggetions (aside from jumping somewhere) is appreciated :->

xchron

Old 10-13-2013, 04:25 PM   #2
syg00
LQ Veteran

Distribution: Lots ...

Rep: Reputation: 4120Reputation: 4120Reputation: 4120Reputation: 4120Reputation: 4120Reputation: 4120Reputation: 4120Reputation: 4120Reputation: 4120Reputation: 4120Reputation: 4120
I use external caddies that come with mains power adapters - maybe power is an issue for you. Never had any issue on any flavour of Linux I've tried - just a USB device by the time it gets there I would guess.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:57 AM   #3
trevoratxtal

Distribution: PCLinuxOS, Suse, Mint, Puppy.

Rep: Reputation: 20
Hello
I have found the following type adapters works well.
the first using the machines power supply.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-5-3-5-SA...item27d9100614

or if you wish to have the full kit with power supply then something like.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-2-0-TO...item4aab82e152

Both types are available in any country.
To check the interface adapter is working as required use Gparted and find out all the information on the attached disk.
I hope this helps
Trevor

Quote:
Originally Posted by xchron View Post
Howdy,

I've got a Kingwin USI2535 which works ok in WinXP, but nada in any flavor of linux that I have...maybe its something I'm doing wrong? But I don't think so. So, I've been out scouring the InterNet corporate wasteland (its so broken nowa days) and there's lots of adapters for windows but I've only found one (ByTecc) which claims to work with linux but it has really bad reviews regarding quality.

So I'm asking around the hardware groups, what USB_2_IDE_SATA_adapter works?

My systems have Knoppix, Debian, RedHat, and UuuuuBuntooo too too...

Any suggetions (aside from jumping somewhere) is appreciated :->

xchron
.allblock_box_v1{border-style:solid;border-width:1px;border-color:#ff5500;}.allblock_box_v1{border-style:solid;border-width:1px;border-color:#ff5500;}

Old 10-14-2013, 02:31 AM   #4
xchron
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by syg00 View Post
I use external caddies that come with mains power adapters - maybe power is an issue for you. Never had any issue on any flavour of Linux I've tried - just a USB device by the time it gets there I would guess.
Hi syg00,

Re; "USB to IDE/SATA Adapters, any recommendations (something that works)?"

Thx for the reply,

>maybe power is an issue for you.

Quote:
xchron yakked out a reply to syg00: Nawh...I don't think that power is the problem, for one thing the power-supply I use is a 5Vdc/12Vdc each channel is 2Amp switcher, and as I recall the newer HDs are all 5Vdc @ .3A~800mA.
>>xchron makes an additional post, post comment:
Well...hah! I went back after writing the above and double checked, sh.it-howdy, the adapter works, with an appropriate application of power in the right places. I tested on an old lap-top using Parted-Magic Live CD (neato tool)...but I had to trick-it along. I used a straight through 44pin to 40pin IDE break-out board which brings out the power to the old-style 4pin Molex pwr connector, which I hooked up to the 2A power-supply I mentioned above, and then I connected the USB/IDE adapter via the 40pin side of break-out board. And you as correctly ID'd, it spun right up!!

So, thanks!

xchron

Last edited by xchron; 10-14-2013 at 05:17 AM. Reason: edited to remove evidence of foot in yakkin portal - hah!

Old 10-14-2013, 05:35 AM   #5
xchron
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevoratxtal View Post
Hello
I have found the following type adapters works well.
the first using the machines power supply.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-5-3-5-SA...item27d9100614

or if you wish to have the full kit with power supply then something like.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-2-0-TO...item4aab82e152

Both types are available in any country.
To check the interface adapter is working as required use Gparted and find out all the information on the attached disk.
I hope this helps
Trevor

.allblock_box_v1{border-style:solid;border-width:1px;border-color:#ff5500;}.allblock_box_v1{border-style:solid;border-width:1px;border-color:#ff5500;}
Hi Trevor@crystal,

Thank you for the informational reply. I did visit both of the UK eBay pages you cited. Yep, those claim to work with 'lots of OSs' which one may generally infer as being Unixs etc.

However, syg00, in a previous post, mentioned power as being a plausible problem, which I double-checked, tracked down some 44pin IDE pinout charts, and using my Fluke DVM, and sure as Shepperd's-pie the drive was being starved by a USB/PC only source power connection (As Max Smart used to say...holding up a thumb and the fore finger...'they missed it by only that much!!'...a flakey design). It just goes to show, its good to have peers.

Any way thanks a lot, it was very much appreciated.

xchron
ps, new policy, those eBay UK vendors are no longer shipping to the colonies...? Maybe its the US ITAR junk the US State Dept is imposing on everyone? Weird things are happening over here. For one thing, the US search engines no longer return URLs from Italy, Germany, Greece, Russia, Australia, UK, France, Japan....just about all of the countries are disappearing from the US InterNet??

Old 10-14-2013, 05:43 AM   #6
syg00
LQ Veteran

Distribution: Lots ...

Rep: Reputation: 4120Reputation: 4120Reputation: 4120Reputation: 4120Reputation: 4120Reputation: 4120Reputation: 4120Reputation: 4120Reputation: 4120Reputation: 4120Reputation: 4120

Glad you got it sorted - (intermittent) power issues can be a bitch.

Old 10-14-2013, 10:50 AM   #7
bimboleum

Rep: Reputation: 23
Hey,
The Apricorn Drivewire works straight out of the box. It has interfaces for sata, 44-pin ide and 40-pin SCSI.

http://www.apricorn.com/products/not...d-adapter.html

cheers pete

pete hilton
saruman@ruvolo-hilton.org

Old 10-15-2013, 08:10 AM   #8
xchron
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
& yummy too

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimboleum View Post
Hey,
The Apricorn Drivewire works straight out of the box. It has interfaces for sata, 44-pin ide and 40-pin SCSI.

http://www.apricorn.com/products/not...d-adapter.html

cheers pete

pete hilton
saruman@ruvolo-hilton.org
Hi Pete,

Thanks for the reply. I looked around, the Drive-Wire seems to have good reviews and not too pricey. Thanks.

I apologize for being a bit off-topic here...

I checked out 'Isabella' and your cookbook too. Some of your recipes look really yummy and I intend to try out a few of them. I visited every page and glom'd a few. (http://www.ruvolo-hilton.org/pete/cookbook/index.html)). Ya gonna finish the book?

One last excursion...have y'all noticed that personal-websites are disappearing from the 'Net? And it does seem that search engines such as google & bing are slowly but methodically filtering non-sales websites? I mean, when was the last time y'all saw any search returns for any websites sales or personal that are from Japan or Greece, Australia, Russia, Africa, Norway, Germany, France??? Some of the kewlest stuff on the Net were on the 'Net in those countries.

Anyway...I enjoyed surfing your website Pete. Thanks for sharing, it was fun.

xchronus