LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Desktop
User Name
Password
Linux - Desktop This forum is for the discussion of all Linux Software used in a desktop context.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 01-07-2017, 09:08 PM   #1
taylorkh

Distribution: CentOS 6, CentOS 7 (with Mate), Ubuntu 16.04 Mate

Rep: Reputation: 108Reputation: 108
I need icons to default to the left side of the RIGHT monitor

I have been poking at the root cause for a year or more - trying to run separate X screens on CentOS 7 (which worked in CentOS 6). I am now considering Plan B. Here is the situation. I have two monitors. The left monitor is pivoted to portrait orientation and the right monitor is in landscape orientation. The left monitor will be dedicated to a VMWare virtual machine. The right monitor will be my "working" display for normal desktop interaction. The problem is...

The desktop icons want to live against the left side of the LEFT monitor (where they will be covered by the VM). I have set the right monitor to be the primary display, however, the icons will gravitate to the left monitor if I "Organize Desktop by name" or similar. The left monitor must be configured in the display layout to be to the left otherwise I would have to mouse to the right edge of the right monitor to get to the left monitor. I suppose I could move the portrait monitor to the right position physically but I am not sure I am willing at this point to do so. I have been using this layout for several years and I am sort of used to it.

I am using CentOS 7 with the Mate desktop for what it is worth. The Panels stay on the primary (right) monitor but not the icons. I guess I need an "icon fence" Any suggestions?

TIA,

Ken

Old 01-09-2017, 02:39 PM   #2
ondoho
LQ Addict

Rep: Reputation: 1312Reputation: 1312Reputation: 1312Reputation: 1312Reputation: 1312Reputation: 1312Reputation: 1312Reputation: 1312Reputation: 1312Reputation: 1312
incidentally, an icon fence app used to exist for windows, but i think it wouldn't have applied to newly created shortcuts anyway.
but, maybe it's possible to write a script that will move every newly created shortcut xxxx pixels to the right? not an elegant solution for sure.

window managers that can treat dual monitor setups in a versatile way exist. but they don't support icons.
maybe it is possible to tell the icon-generating software, a.k.a. desktop manager, which is the file manager on mate iirc, i.e. caja - well, maybe it is possible to tell caja to completely disregard the left monitor?

maybe you can use mate wih a different window manager that allows more fingrained control?

maybe you can set up 2 X sessions - one only for the vm, the other for "normal" stuff, each being assigned one monitor?

maybe you can seperate the monitors in a way that does not just extend the desktop size? (xrandr documentation)

no definite advice, sorry, just thoughts - ideas.

ultimitaly i guess what i'm trying to say is that mate isn't the best environment for this sort of endeavor.
and who needs desktop icons anyway

Old 01-09-2017, 03:55 PM   #3
taylorkh

Original Poster
Thanks ondoho,

This was one of those "out of frustration" posts. I will have a look at xrandr - again. I just want the OS to be there and allow me to run my programs and access my files. I don't want to make a career out of configuring the OS - but I guess I may have to

I have a test CentOS 7 system setup with the portrait monitor on the RIGHT which alleviates the problem I described in the original post. I guess I could get used to it. Might be a reason to replace my 7 year old PC.

On the other hand I FINALLY built a CentOS 7 Mate virtual machine - I have been running CentOS 7 Mate on several physical machines - and have the VM on my CentOS 6 PC. At least I can now do those things which CentOS 6 does not support - such as opening some pdfs from my investment company (vanguard.com). They have some sort of funky font which will not display in any pdf viewer I can find on CentOS 6. On CentOS 7 I can open the files in several viewers. And autofs WORKS on CentOS 7 with no problem. I still have not managed to get it to mount an nfs share on CentOS 6. Some programs on CentOS 6 are getting a little long in the tooth.

Cheers,

Ken

Old 01-11-2017, 12:10 PM   #4
ondoho
LQ Addict

Rep: Reputation: 1312Reputation: 1312Reputation: 1312Reputation: 1312Reputation: 1312Reputation: 1312Reputation: 1312Reputation: 1312Reputation: 1312Reputation: 1312
incidentally i stumbled upon this a while after answering:
http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/min...tml#post985222
maybe helps?

Old 01-11-2017, 12:54 PM   #5
taylorkh

Original Poster
Interesting although Windoze does not deserve even a half monitor Actually I think VMWare offers multiple monitors for a VM. Have not tried it. I generally consider a VM to be a sub set of my computing environment. That said... I have spent the past three days (or weeks - it seems like months) trying to get an antiquated Brother multi-function print/scan/fax/copy thing to work on CentOS 7. I installed it on my CentOS 6 machine back at 6.0 and have updated to the current CentOS 6.8. The print works fine. As to the scanner... It will not work after installing on CentOS 7, 6.8, Ubuntu 16.04 64 or 32 bit. What next?

Thanks,

Ken

Old 01-11-2017, 01:02 PM   #6
LQ Addict

Distribution: Debian Sid AMD64, Raspbian Wheezy, various VMs

Rep: Reputation: 1840Reputation: 1840Reputation: 1840Reputation: 1840Reputation: 1840Reputation: 1840Reputation: 1840Reputation: 1840Reputation: 1840Reputation: 1840Reputation: 1840
Do you not have a Desktop directory for each of the screens? Sadly, I think dual-monitor support is poor under all DEs (and some WMs as well as Windows). It appears that people wishing to use more than one monitor efficiently are in a minority.
I use XFCE but it can only just work over two monitors and Gnome and KDE just fail to bother unless it's "one huge desktop!!!!!" one is going for.

Old 01-11-2017, 01:31 PM   #7
taylorkh

Original Poster
Thanks 273,

On my working CentOS 6 machine I have ONLY ONE Desktop directory. I agree that "one huge desktop" seems to be THE THING. And then add a user interface which looks like a smart phone.

Here is my latest... I purchased a refurbished Dell 19" monitor over the holidays for $40 US. Turned out to be a really nice monitor. It can be swivelled to portrait layout. I have it and an old 17" monitor connected to a test PC running CentOS 7. I have the portrait monitor on the right - and am getting used to it. I loaded a CentOS 7 VM in VMWare, moved it to the right monitor and went to full screen. It takes up the right screen only. I found that I can set it (and any other window for that matter) to always display on the visible workspace.

This gives me most of the functionality I had with two X screens. I can change workspaces on the left monitor (host) and the right monitor (guest) stays in place. I can change workspaces on the guest without impacting the host. I can drag files from the guest desktop to the host desktop but not the other way. Strangely I can drag files in the opposite direction with a CentOS 6 guest I guess I can sort that out although I plan to connect the guest to host via automount & nfs.

Thanks again for your reply,

Ken