LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 09-17-2013, 01:17 AM   #1
deleted03
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Question Linux BOSS Live showing blank screen only!

I'm a newbie to Linux. I have an old computer with 2gb ram, 250gb harddrive(only 50gb free). The graphic card is pretty old. It's a local VGA card with only 8mb memory.

I have used windows for about 5years on the computer. It worked fine except some usual glitches occurring every few months due to viruses. And now, there is some serious problem in it. The windows showed blue screen and setup failed to detect hard drive. On restart, it says missing operating system and windows DVD is not booting saying bootmgr is missing.
I had an Indian version of Linux bootable live DVD with me and I knew that Linux is really good to repair a broken computer. It is called BOSS. I had ran it on a computer with similar specs but a good intel graphic card on virtual box on windows. It ran really well and had all features.
Now when I loaded it into my computer, it loaded the initial menu. It had the options of live, install, install text mode. I selected live, and after a few seconds of loading, it shows me a blank screen and nothing else.
Then I tried to install. It detected my hard drive easily, completed the gnome setup and after that, it failed to instal the rub boot loader.
The text mode install failed on the same part. allthough It was a charm to format my c:/ drive.
Now I think that it's the operating system that's faulty or the graphic card.
Any advice on what to do now? I need to repair my computer with Linux, run Linux for a few months to see if I can continue with Linux only. And then decide wether or not install windows back.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:58 PM   #2
Ztcoracat
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware, MX 18

Rep: Reputation: 1176Reputation: 1176Reputation: 1176Reputation: 1176Reputation: 1176Reputation: 1176Reputation: 1176Reputation: 1176Reputation: 1176
Hi:

Quote:
I have an old computer with 2gb ram, 250gb harddrive(only 50gb free).
How old is your computer?

Is it a desktop or a laptop and what kind? Dell? Mac? Compaq?
32-bit or 64bit?
If your not sure you can run:
Code:
uname -m
To find out your computers architecture-

Quote:
Now I think that it's the operating system that's faulty or the graphic card.
It is possible that your grahics card is on it's way out.
I had a 5 year old Toshibia and every time I tried a Linux CD it would either freeze up or I had a black screen. I later found out that the grahics card was done for.

Memtest is good for testing on computers to see if the RAM is bad.
http://www.memtest.org/

A lightweight distribution that you could try is Lubuntu. Never heard of BOSS:- Sorry--
http://lubuntu.net/

Old 10-01-2013, 11:05 PM   #3
Ztcoracat
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware, MX 18

Rep: Reputation: 1176Reputation: 1176Reputation: 1176Reputation: 1176Reputation: 1176Reputation: 1176Reputation: 1176Reputation: 1176Reputation: 1176
I looked up Linux Boss so others can see it's Debian based.
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=boss

Old 10-02-2013, 12:11 AM   #4
cmgeo

Distribution: Win 10, Debian and ubuntoooo

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Hello

BOSS (Bharat operating system something like that) is developed by C-dac(or some other IT dept. don't know for sure) an arm of Govt of India for creating operating system for use in govt computers and for general public use in different Indian languages.

it is little bureaucratic software if i may say so.

if you are looking for Indian language Linux installation search Google for indlinux.

if you are new to linux and just want try out a good operating system try Debian live CD which can be downloaded from Debian website or try ubuntu.