LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 07-20-2003, 05:05 PM   #1
special_k
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
aRTs and gnome, redhat 9

running redhat 9 and gnome ...

my sound card is working, after having done redhat-config-soundcard, and i am using the via82cxxx_audio module. unfortunately, esd and this module don't get along... (see redhat bugzilla bug 76603)

right now, the only way i can get sound is to use the OSS output driver in xmms.

what i would like to do (if it is possible) is to use aRTs until esound or the sound driver get fixed. really, i only want xmms and gaim to have sound since both of those apps have an option to use aRTs. here's what i've done so far:

told gnome to not start the sound-server on startup
killed all instances of esd
run 'artsd &'
set xmms and gaim to use aRTs as sound output

only thing is, i only get silence. is what i want to do impossible, or am i going about it the wrong way?

thanks in advance

Old 07-27-2003, 08:15 PM   #2
special_k
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
alright, i solved my own problem. In case anyone else needs to do this, you must have both the arts and arts-devel packages installed. that was the holdup, apparently...

now i can fulfill all my sound needs by using 'artsdsp esd'

Old 08-08-2003, 10:31 AM   #3
sorrodos

Distribution: Mandrake 10.0, Gentoo, FreeSBIE 1.0

Rep: Reputation: 30
I've messed w/ things along these lines for awhile, and while your solution works the best so far, I can't get sound from Konqueror or Mozilla when I am using a browser plugin to view a flash site or a video file. Sometimes it even stops the plugin from loading at all.

In Konqueror's plugin config window, there is an option to pipe sound through artsdsp. I guess it tries to start a new instance of artsdsp when it loads a plugin, and only one instance of that can run at a time. If I uncheck the box, I get no audio whatsoever. Does anyone have any on what I could to make this work?