LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General
User Name
Password
Linux - General This Linux forum is for general Linux questions and discussion.
If it is Linux Related and doesn't seem to fit in any other forum then this is the place.

Notices

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 08-16-2005, 05:32 PM   #1
synaptical

Distribution: Mint 13/15, CentOS 6.4

Rep: Reputation: 48
i just sent this message to CNN

***i tried posting this twice in the news/editorial forum, but it didn't post. apologies if it shows up as a duplicate, mods please delete where necessary, appreciate.***

I'm watching CNN right now (6:12PM, 8-16-05) during a "Breaking News" report about a computer worm infecting computers around the world.

The anchor (W.Blitzer) is discussing various remedies including turning off one's computer. Who wants to turn off their computer when they have work to do because they have been infected by a worm or virus? No one.

During this and other similar reports, no mention is EVER made of running Linux and other Open Source operating system alternatives, which practically speaking are not subject to the kinds of major virus and worm problems like the ones CNN is reporting are now affecting Windows systems.

Why the bias in CNN reporting toward Microsoft products, which are more susceptible to these kinds of virus and worm attacks? It's understandable that most people run Windows, so the reports are naturally tailored to that viewership. But why is no mention ever made in these reports of the fact that people can very reliably protect themselves against computer worms and viruses (and spyware) by running Linux?

Whether the omission is intentional or because of ignorance of the alternatives to Microsoft Windows, isn't it irresponsible of CNN not to research and report the full story to its viewers so that they might better protect themselves against malicious software?

thank you for your consideration

Old 08-17-2005, 10:25 AM   #2
oneandoneis2

Distribution: Ubuntu

Ah, but did you send it via snail mail with a Knoppix CD?

Old 08-17-2005, 10:50 AM   #3
SlackerLX

Distribution: SuSE 10.1; Testing Distros

Rep: Reputation: 47
This IS the Commercial world we're living in, remember? How does this virus affect the Commercial giants of this world, which run on M$?!
Reporters care nothing of something that cannot be affected. Media needs scandals, reductions or increases of dollar at Exchange.

Old 08-17-2005, 12:09 PM   #4
synaptical

Distribution: Mint 13/15, CentOS 6.4

Original Poster
how does it affect them? here's from an AP story today:

"Among companies affected by the worm and its variations were ABC, CNN, The Associated Press, The New York Times and Caterpillar Inc. In California, San Diego County said it needed to cleanse 12,000 computers of the bug. ABC News producers had to use electric typewriters Tuesday to prepare copy for their "World News Tonight" broadcast, according to spokesman Jeffrey Schneider."

the headline should be:

Windows Users Forced to Use Typewriters
Linux users unaffected by the latest worm outbreak

Old 08-17-2005, 01:55 PM   #5
kornerr

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 35
Anyone wants to live in an Open Source world?
I do.
There will be a project on creating the best RPG 3D game using OpenGL. Well, the plot will be as interesting as Gothic's, the quality will be higher than in Morrowind and HL2.
If you want to break Microsoft and let the whole world know that Linux can do everything, even games...
Let me know.
(although it's probably a next year project, I'm currently getting SDL/OpenGL basics)
Thanks.

I'M NOT KIDDING. Just turn on your TV and watch that thousands of people are dying, killing each other, etc.
The World has gone crazy, we must stop violence.

If you think we can't do it... Hah! You make me smile!
Tell me how many persons developed the first linux kernels? Tell me how many people now use Linux?
Few people changed Software world.
And thousands of people using OO can't change the Reality?
You must be kidding.

Old 08-17-2005, 02:14 PM   #6
kencaz

Distribution: Mandriva Slackware FreeBSD

Conspiracy theory:

I always thought that the big AntiVirus software makers have teams to write and distribute these Virus, Worm's and Trojens, so they can then scare the gen-pub into buying their latest Antivirus package. They are seen as the Hero!

Remember the quote from The Net... "Nobody can break into our system! We just installed the new GateKeeper program"

KC

Old 08-17-2005, 02:20 PM   #7
craigevil

Distribution: Debian Sid/RPIOS

Rep: Reputation: 533Reputation: 533Reputation: 533Reputation: 533Reputation: 533Reputation: 533
Another GREAT reason not to run windows.

Although in the 10 years of runnng windows from win95>win98>winme I never once had a virus,trojan or a worm. Maybe if they hired competent IT people they wouldn't be having all the problems that they are having. It isn't really that difficult to have a secure windows system.

Linux rules.

Old 08-18-2005, 11:27 AM   #8
bruno buys

Distribution: Debian

Rep: Reputation: 46
Quote:
Originally posted by craigevil
Another GREAT reason not to run windows.

It isn't really that difficult to have a secure windows system.

Linux rules.

yes, indeed.

The average user sees a virus.exe and hush to click it open....

Old 08-18-2005, 01:00 PM   #9
trickykid
LQ Guru

Rep: Reputation: 269Reputation: 269Reputation: 269
Threads in the News/Articles forum have to go under approval after submission. I'm closing this thread, we don't need any duplicates discussing the same issue as this doesn't even belong in Linux - General for that matter.

Once a moderator is available to approve the submitted thread in News, please continue the discussion there.

Closed Thread