LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Linspire/Freespire
User Name
Password
Linspire/Freespire This Forum is for the discussion of Linspire and Freespire.

Notices

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 02-23-2004, 10:13 PM   #1
njbrain

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 30
LindowsOS is not Linux

LindowsOS can hardly be called Linux. You can't install a regular linux software package on it, you have to use their CNR that costs $50 a year. The worst thing about CNR is that you can get most of those programs FREE for linux! You have almost no control over you computer. If it doesn't do it for you, it won't get done! A newbie would probably be much happier with mandrake. Windows any day over LindowsOS. I don't wan't to start a flame war here, but I want to tell you that I don't think LindowsOS is worth the $90 to get it going. I would be better off going to ebay and picking up a copy of Windows XP for $80.
Noah

Last edited by njbrain; 02-23-2004 at 10:20 PM.

Old 02-23-2004, 10:23 PM   #2
darthtux

Distribution: Debian, Gentoo, Red Hat, Solaris

Rep: Reputation: 47
Linux is the kernel not a distro

I opt for neither Lindows or Windows. My advice would be to get a real distro.

Old 02-23-2004, 10:28 PM   #3
frieza

Distribution: Ubuntu 11.4,DD-WRT micro plus ssh,lfs-6.6,Fedora 15,Fedora 16

Rep: Reputation: 406Reputation: 406Reputation: 406Reputation: 406Reputation: 406
just the name "lindows" , if you have read the book animal farm you'd understand the part where the pigs start walking on two legs and start being more like the humans.. they start giving into the humans instead of being soverign like their original plans they become more close to the humns, utopia l hope lindows isn't a first step to this

Old 02-23-2004, 10:29 PM   #4
frieza

Rep: Reputation: 406Reputation: 406Reputation: 406Reputation: 406Reputation: 406
my point being that the animals in animal farm compromised their valuse for an easier life, i hope this isn't the case with linux 'vendors'

Old 02-23-2004, 10:57 PM   #5
2damncommon

Distribution: PCLINUXOS

Rep: Reputation: 103Reputation: 103
Quote:
LindowsOS can hardly be called Linux.
Although being somewhat cool to Lindows myself, also, one can hardly miss that there are some people that really like it. So it has a market.
I have feelings about some of the same points brought up further in the OP but saying it is not Linux is completely incorrect.
Products like Lindows are every bit as much a Linux distro as LFS or any other.
I have to think that Jeremy hoped Linux users who are not really warmed up to a distro such as Lindows would refrain from insulting it on a forum intended to both help Lindows users and introduce them to the Linux community, such as it is.

Last edited by 2damncommon; 02-23-2004 at 11:04 PM.

Old 02-24-2004, 02:39 AM   #6
XavierP

Distribution: Debian Testing

Rep: Reputation: 475Reputation: 475Reputation: 475Reputation: 475Reputation: 475
Lindows is a Debian based distro. Therefore the tools you need are there if you want them/look for them. Apt-get is there in a broken form. Download apt-get for Debian and run it - hey presto, access to 8000+ (I believe) programs.

This has been documented in a number of reviews I have seen on Lindows. Obviously though, CNR programs may have been packaged specifically for Lindows, whereas apt-get downloads are not - so your mileage may vary.

And as 2damncommon so rightly says, Lindows is Linux. It is all a part of that choice thing. Lindows is aimed at a specific market and seems to be doing well within that market. If it's not for you try something else - there's a huge choice of distros.

Old 02-24-2004, 07:17 AM   #7
njbrain

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally posted by 2damncommon
Although being somewhat cool to Lindows myself, also, one can hardly miss that there are some people that really like it. So it has a market.
I have feelings about some of the same points brought up further in the OP but saying it is not Linux is completely incorrect.
Products like Lindows are every bit as much a Linux distro as LFS or any other.
I have to think that Jeremy hoped Linux users who are not really warmed up to a distro such as Lindows would refrain from insulting it on a forum intended to both help Lindows users and introduce them to the Linux community, such as it is.
You see I did say that it can hardly be called Linux. It obviously is because it uses the kernel. Well, it uses KDE too. But it doesn't have a c++ compiler. I'm sorry about the title, I didn't mean to write it like that. I'm not sure how I titled this thread what I did, because I didn't mean it!

Last edited by njbrain; 02-24-2004 at 07:20 AM.

Old 02-24-2004, 08:06 AM   #8
nickellis
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
But it doesn't have a c++ compiler.
C++ Compiler in the CNR

Yes, I realise it's in the CNR, and therefore is part of your $4.95, and yes it's true you can get it free elsewhere. I am not going to re-rehearse the arguments for and against CNR. But it's not true to say that there is no C++ compiler for Lindows.

Nick

Old 02-24-2004, 08:14 AM   #9
jeremy
root

Distribution: Debian, Red Hat, Slackware, Fedora, Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 4084Reputation: 4084Reputation: 4084Reputation: 4084Reputation: 4084Reputation: 4084Reputation: 4084Reputation: 4084Reputation: 4084Reputation: 4084Reputation: 4084
Quote:
I have to think that Jeremy hoped Linux users who are not really warmed up to a distro such as Lindows would refrain from insulting it on a forum intended to both help Lindows users and introduce them to the Linux community, such as it is
You could not be more correct in that I really feel this is one of the friendliest forums on the web. While I am open to both sides of every argument in every situation and am a big proponent of free speech, simply bashing a product is silly and pointless. If you don't like something feel free to point it out in a constructive way, but bashing is not (and will not be) tolerated here. I wouldn't have thought I would have even had to say this...

--jeremy

Old 02-24-2004, 08:25 AM   #10
njbrain

Original Poster
Sorry, I didn't think I was "simply bashing" Lindows. If you think I was, I obviously didn't have a very good spirit while writing! Sorry, Noah

Old 02-24-2004, 09:17 AM   #11
jeremy
root

Distribution: Debian, Red Hat, Slackware, Fedora, Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 4084Reputation: 4084Reputation: 4084Reputation: 4084Reputation: 4084Reputation: 4084Reputation: 4084Reputation: 4084Reputation: 4084Reputation: 4084Reputation: 4084
njbrain,
I wasn't really singling anyone out, just making on observation in general.

--jeremy

Old 02-24-2004, 09:27 AM   #12
trickykid
LQ Guru

Rep: Reputation: 269Reputation: 269Reputation: 269
Quote:
Originally posted by jeremy
njbrain,
I wasn't really singling anyone out, just making on observation in general.

--jeremy
I find that when Jeremy or the majority of the mods point something out, we never intend to single anyone out but will make it clear to maybe one person so that all can see our standpoints in a situation.

However I feel we didn't make this forum and ask Lindows to join us for members to just "bash" them. Like Jeremy stated, I myself don't like when members spread negativity in unconstructive ways. If you don't like it, fine, make a valid point and back up your reasonings constructively. If you can't refrain and I think if your going to start a thread only to point out that you hate a company or product.. just skip it and move on, its not worth to start a debate, just to start one.

Quite frankly even in the case of members bashing or making fun of Windows or Microsoft, I don't even like that. I myself am not a fan of M$ but I don't go around creating threads to spread negative crud about them.

Cheers.

Old 02-24-2004, 09:47 AM   #13
frieza

ok, i don't blame lindows for compromising the principals of linux users, i just hope it doesn't provide a means to I think lindows is a good idea as a novice version of linux.

Old 02-24-2004, 10:31 AM   #14
njbrain

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally posted by trickykid
I find that when Jeremy or the majority of the mods point something out, we never intend to single anyone out but will make it clear to maybe one person so that all can see our standpoints in a situation.

However I feel we didn't make this forum and ask Lindows to join us for members to just "bash" them. Like Jeremy stated, I myself don't like when members spread negativity in unconstructive ways. If you don't like it, fine, make a valid point and back up your reasonings constructively. If you can't refrain and I think if your going to start a thread only to point out that you hate a company or product.. just skip it and move on, its not worth to start a debate, just to start one.

Quite frankly even in the case of members bashing or making fun of Windows or Microsoft, I don't even like that. I myself am not a fan of M$ but I don't go around creating threads to spread negative crud about them.

Cheers.
You have convinced me. It was an un-needed thread.
Thanks Trickykid.

Old 02-24-2004, 11:24 AM   #15
kzar

Rep: Reputation: 15
Lindows is pretty terrible if you ask me. But at the end of the day, it gives linux press, gets people started and is another competitor for windows. I woudlnt use it myeslf though!

Closed Thread