LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Mandriva
User Name
Password
Mandriva This Forum is for the discussion of Mandriva (Mandrake) Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 03-12-2004, 01:12 PM   #1
TravisOSF

Distribution: Fedora 8, RHEL 3,4,5, Ubuntu 8.04

Rep: Reputation: 30
Changing the "Star" logo on the KDE bar

I want to change the star start button that came with Mandrake 10. How do i do this? I have looked about everywhere!

Old 03-12-2004, 02:18 PM   #2
bigVoice

Distribution: Mandrake 10

The icons are in the dir /usr/share/icons/iconthemename

Each "icon set" should have its own folder. Check the iconset you are using (see next paragraph).

The easiest way for you to change your icon, is to change the icon theme (in KDE go menu > KDE > Look n Feel > Icons), but this will change all your icons (usually a good thing anyways). If you only want to change just the star, then look for the appropriate icon in that folder. I think its called "kmenu.png" but I'm not 100% sure.

Check out KDE-look for a bunch of great icon themes, etc.

Good luck.

Old 03-12-2004, 02:24 PM   #3
320mb

Distribution: Slackware, LFS

Rep: Reputation: 48
how about.......
/opt/kde/share/icons/
the directory default.kde symlinks to the current icon theme.
the kde kicker icon is in 32x32/apps directory(at least on mine it is)..........move the current kmenu.png to png.old and move the icon you want in and re-name it to..........kmenu.png..........ta da

Old 03-12-2004, 02:38 PM   #4
bigVoice

Distribution: Mandrake 10

320mb, are you using Mandrake or Slackware? My Mandrake 9.2 (essentially a "default" install doesn't have that particular directory. Otherwise, bang on! Good advice, great post.

FYI, the more I thought about it, the more I thought that go.png is maybe the kicker icon, so I took a quick look, and it some themes it seems to be kmenu.png, but in others its go.png. I don't really know enough about the way icon themes are set up to comment intelligently on this though...

Old 03-12-2004, 03:58 PM   #5
TravisOSF

Original Poster
thanks guys, i haven't tried any yet, but i am pretty sure that no matter what the setup, as long as i know the file, i can do a replace...i just needed a hint where to look

thanks!!!

Old 03-19-2004, 03:28 PM   #6
bertcakes
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 15
Ok well here is my question. everytime I change the icon set it doesnt change my star on mandrake 10. I just dont like the stupid star icon. I have tried looking for kmenu.png. I have looked for go.png. Basically I dont know where to find the original and for some reason the new mandrake when you change icons it changes everything but the kmenu. I have gone to usr/share/icons/....and looked for it and it doesnt seem to be there. I find the other Icon sets and I even see kmenu.png but its not the stupid star that mandrake 10 has. Any help would be great

Old 03-22-2004, 12:22 PM   #7
TravisOSF

Original Poster
Yeah, that's still my problem...I can't find the base directory...although some icon sets even feature "mandrake" icons...MDK-kicker.png and stuff...

oh well...maybe someone will figure it out!

Travis

Old 03-22-2004, 03:37 PM   #8
ghow961
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
The star comes from the file called menuk-mdk.png
Overwrite that with whatever icon you like, for example this script will change it to the standard K

Code:
#!/bin/sh
for file in /usr/share/icons/default.kde/* ; do
  if test -d $file; then
    mv $file/menuk-mdk.png $file/menuk-mdk-old.png
    cp $file/kmenu.png $file/menuk-mdk.png
  fi
done

Old 03-23-2004, 03:00 AM   #9
kundor

Distribution: GoboLinux

Yeah, I just went through this exercise earlier today!

Depending what size your panel is set to, the icons in the 32x32, 64x64, 48x48, or whatever folder might be used. The menuk-mdk.png is in the apps subfolder. Just overwrite it with some other icon of the same size and you're good to go.

By default, the proper icons to modify are in /usr/share/icons/crystalsvg/

Last edited by kundor; 03-23-2004 at 03:03 AM.

Old 03-31-2004, 01:37 AM   #10
floyd

Distribution: Mandrake

Rep: Reputation: 15
Okay, I've done the above, but now my Kmenu button is always the crystal svg one. Whats the deal with the default.kde symlink anyway? It doesnt point to the currently selected icon theme, whats it for?

My real question however, is how do you make it so the kmenu button changes to the proper icon for your selected icon theme?

Old 03-31-2004, 02:25 AM   #11
TravisOSF

Original Poster
thanks guys, i now proudly have the NOIA kicker... :-)