LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 11-19-2003, 08:55 AM   #1
balam

Distribution: red hat

Rep: Reputation: 15
Talking flash plugin in mozilla - fedora redhat

Hi all,
here I am back, as you know fedora is out, I am running it, is fine. I was trying to install flash player in mozilla, ( run the installer and the two files are copied in their respective directories.) but so far flash player does not work in mozilla or firebird, any of you has this problem using fedora core 1, ( it work in the first beta reales but not in the official reales) any sugestion is very wellcome.

thanks all

Old 11-19-2003, 09:46 AM   #2
Crashed_Again

Distribution: Ubuntu & Arch

Rep: Reputation: 57
This is off of Mozilla's site:

Q: How do I install Flash?

A: Download the Flash Player installer for Netscape (direct link). Extract libflashplayer.so and flashplayer.xpt to your Firebird plugins directory.

If Flash Player does not work, make sure you have a compatible version of libstdc++ present (libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3). On RedHat based systems, install the package "compat-libstdc++" (Package "compat" on SuSE).

Make sure you have the "compat-libstdc++" package installed.

Old 11-20-2003, 08:58 AM   #3
balam

Original Poster
thanks, I do have them

but it just not work, any other suggestion is very welcome

Old 11-20-2003, 02:48 PM   #4
balam

Original Poster
Talking problem fix and works so great

Thanks for your posting, It really help me out a LOTTTTTTTTTT
actually the fix is not in install a new version of the libraries
but just repointing to the right path
By default, running the Macromedia Flash installer on Fedora Core 1 does not work correctly. Macromedia links against a different libstdc++ .. if you try to launch Mozilla (after running the Flash installer) from the command line you will see errors about not being about to find libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3

You can fix this by doing:

ln -s /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5 /usr/lib/libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3

After which, Flash runs just fine in Mozilla.

Old 11-21-2003, 06:13 AM   #5
labratt
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
what dir

hello i was reading your postings and i installed the file from flash and its asking me for the dir of mozilla can someone please tell what that is i tried a bunch of different one but it tells me invalid dir......

when i type in which mozilla

it returns /usr/bin/mozilla

please help

sorry never mind i figured it out it was mozilla-1.2.1

Last edited by labratt; 11-21-2003 at 06:25 AM.

Old 11-23-2003, 11:43 AM   #6
oneferna

Distribution: Fedora Core 3, Gentoo

found the answer

The answer is on the yum fedora FAQ. This worked for me.

http://fedora.artoo.net/faq/#WhereCanIGetSoftware

Here is the section you need to see:

Q: I have problems with Flash in Mozilla!
A: Updated 15 Nov 2003 There are a few things that could cause this. Here's how to rectify it:

1. Download the Flash Plugin RPM to your home directory. (Choose the one for "Fedora Core 1" after you pick your location.)
2. Open a Terminal
3. Become root: "su -"
4. Type rpm -Uvh flash-plugin-*.i386.rpm -- the Flash plugin should now be installed correctly.
5. If you install a new version of mozilla, run this process again. (It won't always be this way.)

If it complains about you needing certain packages, those packages are in the CDs. They are also in the Fedora Core base RPMs . You install them the same way as the Flash RPM above (rpm -Uvh package name).

The package you will most likely need is compat-libstdc++. As root, type yum install compat-libstdc++ to get it. (Thanks to various IRC folks and vegan_linuxguy for troubleshooting this. Thanks to "m d," David Ball, and others for pointing out an important typo in this question!)

Old 12-20-2003, 07:52 PM   #7
Mike Mehl
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Fedora Core 3

balam writes:

> You can fix this by doing:

> ln -s /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5 /usr/lib/libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3

But after I install compat-libstdc++-7.3-2.96.118, I found libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3 linked to another file:

# ls -l libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 31 Dec 20 19:17 libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3 -> libstdc++-3-libc6.2-2-2.10.0.so

What breaks if I change this link?

mjm

P.S. For what it's worth, I'm blogging my Fedora experience at http://hawknotes.blogspot.com/ (Adv.)

Old 12-21-2003, 03:54 AM   #8
nexx_au

Distribution: Fedora Core 1

balam, thanks for that, now flash works

however i also have a feeling that it may be a similar probablem as to why i cant get java to work in mozilla, anybody got any ideas?

=================================
sh /usr/bin/MozillaFirebird/MozillaFirebird
LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library libXt.so [libXt.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory]
LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library libXext.so [libXext.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory]
LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library /usr/bin/MozillaFirebird/plugins/java2/plugin/i386/ns600/libjavaplugin_oji.so [libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory]

=================================

Old 12-21-2003, 04:28 PM   #9
Mike Mehl
LQ Newbie

installing java

I didn't have any trouble with the java plugin. The trick is to install it in the right directory, and to make sure that it's a soft link to the plugin.

My MozillaFirebird installation is located in /usr/local/MozillaFirebird, and Blackdown java is installed in /home/local/share/j2sdk1.4.2. So the installation procedure (see the INSTALL file that comes with java) is:

# cd /usr/local/MozillaFirebird/plugins/
# ln -s /home/local/share/j2sdk1.4.2/jre/plugin/i386/mozilla/libjavaplugin_oji.so .

and it worked, after I remembered to enable java on Firebird.

A good java plugin test is to go to

http://cst-www.nrl.navy.mil/lattice/struk.jmol/c15.html

see if you can move the molecules around.

Old 12-21-2003, 06:09 PM   #10
Mike Mehl
LQ Newbie

flash still doesn't work

OK, I followed balam's suggestion to do

> ln -s /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5 /usr/lib/libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3

(having deleted the previous link of /usr/lib/libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3 to libstdc++-3-libc6.2-2-2.10.0.so that was put in by Fedora)

Now doing aboutlugin finds the plugin (good), but when I try to look at the latest animated Doctor Who adventure (http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/doctorwho/...ne/index.shtml) I get a blank screen where the video should be. It worked under Mandrake 9.1. Any ideas?

Old 12-27-2003, 09:30 PM   #11
Mike Mehl
LQ Newbie

Do'oh!!!!

In the Mozilla Firebird 0.7 Release notes (http://www.mozilla.org/projects/fire...ase-notes.html) it says, and I quote:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PLEASE NOTE: You should create a new profile for Mozilla Firebird 0.7. To create a new profile, start Mozilla Firebird by running MozillaFirebird.exe -p and click on the "Create Profile" button.

You must also delete your old Mozilla Firebird directory rather than just overwriting the files there. Not doing so WILL result in problems and you should not file any bugs on Mozilla Firebird unless you've first done a clean install and tested on a new profile. As Mozilla Firebird stabilizes more this will not be necessary but until then these steps are absolutely necessary.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Friends, I'm here to tell you that this is true. When I deleted my old ~/.phoenix directory (saving the bookmarks) and started Firebird, Flash works.

So now, I think I have this system working the way I want it to.

Now what do I do?

Old 03-04-2004, 08:17 PM   #12
vish
LQ Newbie

Hi, I did download compat-libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3 and then executed the command rpm -ivh (rpm file name) as root....it shows a progress bar upto 100% and then nothing happens..I then tried the link command ln- s....., but I see that there is no libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3 in /usr/lib. Also, though the link command executes well, I find that I am unable to launch an xwindows application that needs this lib....help!!

Old 03-03-2008, 11:43 PM   #13
fhleung

Distribution: Lubuntu Live OS

Rep: Reputation: 30
The install error
[libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory]
happened on flash version 6, the later versions like 7, 9 should be fine.

Old 09-19-2014, 01:03 PM   #14
fhleung

Distribution: Lubuntu Live OS

Rep: Reputation: 30
Such problem still not fix in the latest version of firefox mozilla.

If you are Windows users, then better.

Last edited by fhleung; 09-19-2014 at 08:34 PM.

Old 09-19-2014, 02:59 PM   #15
John VV
LQ Muse

Rep: Reputation: 2651Reputation: 2651Reputation: 2651Reputation: 2651Reputation: 2651Reputation: 2651Reputation: 2651Reputation: 2651Reputation: 2651Reputation: 2651Reputation: 2651
fhleung you do know that this thred was started in 2003 11 YEARS AGO!!!

Last edited by John VV; 09-19-2014 at 03:01 PM.